Stern: Union Won't Kill NBA

                                  December 29, 1998

                                 Stern: Union won't kill NBA

                             Vows not to let labor fallout -- even
                             cancellation -- have lasting effect
                                      by Phil Jasner
                                  Daily News Sports Writer

                       David Stern says without hesitation the NBA will
                       operate next season.

                       "We may not have the same players, we may not
                       charge the same ticket prices, we may not have
                       the same extensive TV revenue, but it will be a
                       league and it will survive for a long time and
                       it will continue to regrow and recoup itself,"
                       the commissioner said yesterday during a
                       conference call with reporters.

                       "It will have suffered tremendously, but it will
                       be here to live and entertain another day and,
                       ultimately, thrive."

                       This season, though, is on the verge of becoming
                       a very different story. Stern has called a board
                       of governors meeting Jan. 7 in New York, at
                       which a simple majority of the 29 owners will be
                       enough to cancel the remainder of the season.

                       The commissioner clearly believes the owners'
                       vote will be overwhelming.

                       Stern, speaking more strongly than at any time
                       during the lockout that has been in place since
                       July 1, repeated Sunday's statement that the
                       league has made its final offer to end the labor
                       dispute and challenged union executive director
                       Billy Hunter to allow the rank and file to vote
                       rather than just accept the recommendation of
                       Hunter's 19-person negotiating committee.

                       Just as adamantly, Hunter said that the
                       negotiating committee agreed unanimously in a
                       conference call not to take the owners' offer to
                       the full membership, but that "80 to 85 percent
                       of the members are with us." The rank and file
                       have given the committee the authority to
                       determine when to recommend a deal.

                       Hunter described Stern's offer as "take it or
                       leave it," but added, "I don't know that there's
                       no hope."

                       Stern questioned the motives of "a particular
                       group of agents" representing high-end players,
                       but seemed to center his comments on David Falk,
                       who represents union president Patrick Ewing and
                       vice presidents Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo
                       and Juwan Howard.

                       Stern said there are "400 players being held
                       hostage to a small group who are selected in
                       some manner I'm not familiar with."

                       "The concern of the players should be at a much
                       higher level as they watch not only the season,
                       but for about 20 percent of them, their careers,
                       end under a cloak of secrecy," he said.

                       Hunter refused to respond to a question about
                       how the negotiating committee was formed. He
                       also refused to take a conference-call question
                       from agent Stephen Woods, instructing the
                       conference coordinator to cut off Woods.

                       "This is a [ union ] leadership," Stern said,
                       "that has caused its players to suffer the
                       largest loss in the history of sports in terms
                       of salary."

                       To this point, the players have seen nearly $500
                       million in salaries wiped away. At the start of
                       negotiations last summer, the two sides were
                       trying to decide how to split what had been an
                       estimated $2 billion in revenue.

                       They exchanged their most recent proposals
                       during a five-hour meeting Sunday at the Denver
                       airport.

                       "We were instructed by the owners that this is
                       as far as we can possibly go, that they would
                       prefer not to operate the NBA this year rather
                       than go any further," deputy commissioner Russ
                       Granik said.

                       "They think they made a very, very generous
                       proposal. I don't understand why you wouldn't
                       allow your membership to vote . . . I guess they
                       don't believe the season will be canceled.
                       Unfortunately, they will probably only believe
                       it Jan. 8."

                       Stern and Granik insisted there would be no more
                       negotiations with the union, even though Hunter
                       suggested they continue with both his
                       negotiating committee and the owners'
                       nine-person labor-relations committee.

                       "I don't think the owners are prepared to blow
                       up something they've spent [ 52 ] years [
                       developing ] ," Hunter said. "They may, out of
                       arrogance and power, thumb their nose at it and
                       decide they're going to cut off their head to
                       spite their face, but the downside is so great,
                       I don't know if they'll ever recover . . .

                       "In addition, what's to stop some other group
                       from stepping up? The owners have to be aware
                       there are people out there anxious to replace
                       them. These people don't have a monopoly on
                       money. They're not the only millionaires and
                       billionaires in the country. There are a lot of
                       people who would like to have an 'in' when it
                       comes to professional basketball."

                       Hunter said he had not received any concrete
                       offers about forming a rival league because
                       interested parties would not want to be used as
                       leverage to hammer out a new deal with the NBA.

                       "There are 29 franchises worth an aggregate $5
                       billion to $6 billion," Hunter said. "Are you
                       going to jeopardize your $6 billion investment
                       when we're so close at the table? Over a few
                       million dollars?"

                       Stern seemed startled to hear Hunter say the two
                       sides are close.

                       "We are not close," Stern said. "The owners
                       opened this deal up [ because the players' share
                       of revenue had reached an unsatisfactory ] 57
                       percent. Billy told us Sunday he has to have 57
                       percent. To me, that's not close at all . . .
                       There is a shell game going on here that the
                       labor-relations committee has directed us to put
                       a stop to. Each time we put forward a proposal,
                       it's never enough."

                       Stern's stance, simply, is enough is enough.

                       " [ Hunter ] didn't believe the owners would
                       lock out, he didn't believe we would lose
                       regular- season games, he didn't believe we
                       would lose Christmas Day, he didn't believe we
                       would cancel the All-Star Game," Stern said.

                       "His analysis has been right on target. On Jan.
                       8, he'll turn to his players and say, 'Guess
                       what? I was wrong.' But by then it will be too
                       late to make any difference."

                             ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.