Stern's proposal to players

Before leaving for vacation, David Stern sent the players a copy of the
league's latest proposal.  There are excerpts at

http://espnet.sportszone.com/nba/news/1998/981217/00999279.html

Included are a gurantee that salaries will grow by 20% over the first
five years of the CBA (and a projection that they will rise by 50%), and
a guarantee that NBA players will remain the highest paid in
professional sports.

Salaries as percentage of BRI drop, but only gradually over a 5 year
period from 57% to 53%, while real salaries increase from $3m to $4.5m
on average.  I tried to do some fancy (for me) calculations to see what
that means in dollars.  This is all based on the calculation that
salaries will go up by 50% and revenues by 61% (which I extrapolated
from their figures).

Player salaries projected to go from $1B    to $1.5B
Revenues        projected to go from $1.75B to $2.8B
What's left for everyone other than the players
                projected to go from $0.75B to $1.3B

Clearly the money left to run the teams and make a profit increases
faster than salaries over the 5 years, 73% vs 50%.  However, everyone
wins in this proposal, except the fan who will still be expected to fork
out 61% more over the next 5 years.

On top of this, I'm sure the 53% could be pushed to 55%, meaning even
greater gains for the players.  I fail to see why the technical issues
would hold up the deal at this point.  The owners dropped the hard cap
request and the players have agreed to limits on certain salaries (other
than Falk's clients, that is), so finding a middle ground shouldn't be
that difficult.

Most interesting, to me, was that the maximum contract that Antoine
Walker could be given would be 7 years $74,593,750, which most of us
wouldn't mind.  100 Mil contracts could only be given to players with 10
years of service, but who's going to give 7 years to a 30-32 year old?

I only wish we had access to the player's proposal in such detail.

Jim