Paul Pierce Makes Boston Appearance at Celtic Players Workout

                  Boston Herald

                  No season, but C's show spirit
                  by Michael O'Connor

                  Friday, December 18, 1998

                  They're being nice, not naughty. They're not pouting or
                  shouting. So if Santa is making a list and checking it
                  twice, the wishes of these Celtics is for an NBA season.

                  In the meantime, they're trying to stay positive by
                  staying in shape.

                  Ron Mercer and several other members of the Green Team
                  held an informal workout at Brandeis yesterday. A lot of
                  shooting and warmups, some weights, some short scrimmages.

                  ``We want the fans to know that we're still out there,
                  working to stay in shape,'' said Mercer. ``We tried to do
                  something like this last week, but it fell through.

                  ``But by doing something like this, we can get a good
                  workout, maybe some 5-on-5. The main thing is to get the
                  guys together, show people that we're serious about
                  this.''

                  At 11 a.m., Walter McCarty, Andrew DeClercq, Dana Barros
                  and rookie Paul Pierce were also on the court, shooting
                  and stretching.

                  ``We want to get the message out that we're still serious
                  about playing basketball,'' Mercer said. ``We're serious
                  about making the playoffs and looking to an NBA
                  championship.''

                  Mercer is undaunted about the lack of progress between the
                  owners and the players in the lockout.

                  ``We're not giving up,'' he said. ``We still want to play.
                  Every time we hear something positive, a couple of days
                  later we have to start from Day 1. I think they're trying
                  to make some progress, but it remains to be seen.

                  ``I will say they need to meet every day, instead of every
                  two weeks. We want to know if we're going to play or not
                  going to play.''

                  Barros declined to address the league impasse at length.

                  ``Every time we say something, we get in trouble or it
                  doesn't work out,'' he said.

                  With Christmas coming up next week, Mercer and his
                  teammates find themselves with time on their hands at the
                  holiday season - something of a luxury for most players,
                  who from their college days have seen their competitive
                  schedules crammed at this time of year.

                  ``This is a time to enjoy things - families, friends, the
                  season,'' said Mercer. ``Even though this (NBA lockout)
                  thing is hanging over our heads, it's a nice opportunity
                  for a lot of us - especially for Dana. He's been in the
                  league awhile (nine years), and he sure hasn't always been
                  home for Christmas.''

                  Barros agreed.

                  ``The circumstances involved in being home are not good,
                  but being home is definitely good, especially when you
                  have kids,'' he said. ``In the big picture, this isn't the
                  way it's supposed to be.

                  ``But it's nice to be home with my little man (2-year-old
                  Jordan),'' he said with a smile. ``That's always nice.''