Re: A personal observation

I agree with these sentiments, but they  aren't my reason for
supporting the NBA's position.   Other people "identify" with the
players, etc.  But I think my position is unassailable on those
grounds, because it isn't about sentimentality.  It is this:  I only
care about the Celtics, and the Celtics can't compete in the NBA that
the players want.  It's as simple as that.

---"R. Bentz Kirby"  wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out why I am so solidly in the owners
camp.
> I don't do legal work for any of them (though if you saw the story
about
> George Shinn trading one of his players because they were dating the
> same Honey Bee, I suppose Shinn could use me).  They are mostly
wealthy
> beyond my imagination.  I have nothing in common with them or their
> goals.  I just love the Celtics.  The owners locked the players out.
 So
> why am I in their favor.
>
> 1.  Stupid rhetoric.  The players like Ewing, who are looking out for
> themselves and their agents, not the league, not the majority of the
> players, say stupid things like, we can't survive dividing up a mere
> billion dollars, we must have more.  This new article I just posted
has
> the agents talking about the owners trying to grind the players down.
> Well, it the players want to just be fair, why not take 52% of one
> billion.  Hell, after the owners pay expenses, the players take home
way
> more than the owners.
>
> It is in fact the Players who are not negotiating.  Not the Owners.
>
> 2.  Inflated egos.  While the owners may be greedy.  They are trying
> establish sanity in a world where "Garnett money or you're dissing me"
> has become the norm.  Players simply refuse to report where they are
> traded.  Sprewell's contract is not able to be terminated?  And the
> likes of Walker thinks he is on a level with Bird or Magic.  The
egos of
> Coby Bryant and Nick Van Exel cost the Lakers a trip to the finals.
> This is a joke.
>
> But the worst is the ego of Billy Hunter.  He is more interested in
his
> ego, than what is going to happen to Charles Oakely, Muggsy Bogues and
> others who will might not even get another contract.  He just wants to
> show David Falk that he is a tough guy.  Hey, get the best deal you
can
> for the players.  Don't commit suicide.  He should never have let
> Stockton get shouted down.  He didn't want a dialogue.
>
> 3.  The players are living in a dream world.  Most of these guys have
> been given money etc since they could play.  They think it is
something
> they are entitled to.  No way Garnett should have his contract.
When he