A personal observation

I have been trying to figure out why I am so solidly in the owners camp.
I don't do legal work for any of them (though if you saw the story about
George Shinn trading one of his players because they were dating the
same Honey Bee, I suppose Shinn could use me).  They are mostly wealthy
beyond my imagination.  I have nothing in common with them or their
goals.  I just love the Celtics.  The owners locked the players out.  So
why am I in their favor.

1.  Stupid rhetoric.  The players like Ewing, who are looking out for
themselves and their agents, not the league, not the majority of the
players, say stupid things like, we can't survive dividing up a mere
billion dollars, we must have more.  This new article I just posted has
the agents talking about the owners trying to grind the players down.
Well, it the players want to just be fair, why not take 52% of one
billion.  Hell, after the owners pay expenses, the players take home way
more than the owners.

It is in fact the Players who are not negotiating.  Not the Owners.

2.  Inflated egos.  While the owners may be greedy.  They are trying to
establish sanity in a world where "Garnett money or you're dissing me"
has become the norm.  Players simply refuse to report where they are
traded.  Sprewell's contract is not able to be terminated?  And the
likes of Walker thinks he is on a level with Bird or Magic.  The egos of
Coby Bryant and Nick Van Exel cost the Lakers a trip to the finals.
This is a joke.

But the worst is the ego of Billy Hunter.  He is more interested in his
ego, than what is going to happen to Charles Oakely, Muggsy Bogues and
others who will might not even get another contract.  He just wants to
show David Falk that he is a tough guy.  Hey, get the best deal you can
for the players.  Don't commit suicide.  He should never have let
Stockton get shouted down.  He didn't want a dialogue.

3.  The players are living in a dream world.  Most of these guys have
been given money etc since they could play.  They think it is something
they are entitled to.  No way Garnett should have his contract.  When he
is MVP on a winning championship team then fine.  What is going to stop
the costs.  To feed the egos of the players, the common man can't afford
a pair of sneakers or a ticket to the game.  Much less afford to take
his family.

So, I could go on and on, but basically, the players only care about
their short term greed and they can't imagine being told no.  If they
aren't told no now, the league will implode and will be wasted.  The
owners must regain control, or it is going down the tubes.

Wake me up when someone like Kobe Bryant learns the value of team play,
how to make a jumper under pressure and when to pass and when to shoot.
Larry and Magic knew, and that made the game something to watch.  Now,
in all honesty, it is more like pro wrestling than the NBA.  If it
wasn't for my love of the Celtics, I would not even watch a game or read
about it.

End of sermon, but there is lots more where that came from.

PS, I would not allow my spell checker to add "Lakers" to its memory.
Bad karma that would be.  ;-)
--
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net