Re: Charity begins at home

In a message dated 12/7/98 5:32:56 PM Central Standard Time,
j.hironaka@unesco.org writes:

>  "If you look at people who play professional sports, not a lot of them
>  are financially secure," Ewing said. "They make a lot of money, and they
>  also spend a lot of money. Me, I'm financially secure, but there a lot
>  of others who aren't. Our objective is to help these people. No matter
>  how much money they've made throughout their careers, if they're in need
>  now, then it's up to us to try and help them."
-----Maybe not the best timing, but I have no problem with this statement.
Lots of these guys are "virtually unscarred by education" (a memorable line
from an old SI describing Jim Taylor of the Packers) and are suddenly
millionaires.  They have no clue how to handle a net check of $50,000 every
two weeks and do dumb stuff like own eight cars, or build 50,000 square foot
houses and the like.  If the NBAPA can set up financial counselling for them,
that's fine by me.
    Pro athletes in general are well paid by current standards and always have
been, but there are many, many former pros who were ill-advised and are now
destitute or living on the edge.