Bob Ryan Bashes The NBA

                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                 Can NBA lock out boredom?

                 Real problems are indifference, dilution

                 By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 12/04/98

                 Oh, goody. They've decided to meet once again.
                 The NBA owners and the NBA Players Association must
                 realize that they now occupy the danger zone. While
                 commissioner David Stern has never said aloud just what
                 might be the ''drop-dead date,'' beyond which it would be
                 impossible to start the season, we must conclude that we
                 are creeping dangerously close to it. There is an
                 apparent sense of urgency now - major, major, intense,
                 frightening, scary urgency - that did not exist even a
                 week ago. And so the warring parties are once again
                 negotiating in the hopes of saving the (1998-)1999
                 season.

                 There are absolutely no good guys here. This is a sordid
                 tale involving the desire of multimillionaires and
                 billionaires to squeeze every last dollar out of the
                 public's interest in what can be a very nice sport on the
                 one hand and the desire of spoiled, pampered, coddled,
                 overhyped, self-absorbed, and delusionary players to earn
                 essentially undeserved millions on the other hand. They
                 can't agree on how to divide a $2 billion pie. And we are
                 supposed to care?

                 As a writer who has covered the league for 30 years and a
                 20-year season ticket-holder who has seen his cost rise
                 from $8 a pop for a first-row balcony seat overlooking
                 the foul line at the Garden to $66 a whack for a fine
                 seat several rows up looking at the foul line in the
                 FleetCenter, I come to this fracas with very intense
                 feelings. The NBA has meant a great deal to me personally
                 in both a professional and personal sense. Certain things
                 involving the Celtics have represented my happiest
                 professional moments, and by having the seats, I have had
                 the enormous satisfaction of family involvement as well.
                 One of my dearest personal possessions is a photo of my
                 wife and daughter seated in Section 62, Row A, Seats 1
                 and 2, at the Garden for a Celtics game. Every time I
                 look at it, warm feelings of countless happy afternoons
                 and evenings we all spent in that building watching
                 memorable NBA games spring to mind.

                 This doesn't mean I miss the NBA.

                 Well, I do, sure, but not the way I would have thought
                 had someone told me five years ago we'd all be sitting
                 here on Dec. 4, 1998, waiting to see the first game of
                 the season. What I really miss is the NBA that was, not
                 the NBA that is. I know I am not alone.

                 Whenever they solve this thing, the real job will begin.
                 The NBA will then be confronted with an angry
                 constituency. The league will be in need of a massive
                 selling job in order to restore the game's image to the
                 American sporting public. It will be a much more
                 difficult task than any of the principals know.

                 For if there is one clear message being delivered by pro
                 basketball's vox populi as this lockout insanity drags
                 on, it is that most people simply don't care. I cannot be
                 more explicit. Wherever I go in the country, people don't
                 care. When someone I work with comes back from a trip, he
                 or she reports that people don't care.

                 Attention, David Stern and Billy Hunter: PEOPLE DON'T
                 CARE!

                 Wow.
                 If anything, season ticket-holders are secretly ecstatic.
                 They are being forcibly prevented from paying money to
                 see games they didn't want to see in the first place.

                 What this tells me is that the public is much smarter
                 than it was ever given credit for by the powers that be.
                 If a work stoppage of this type had taken place 10 years
                 ago, when the league was at its artistic zenith, people
                 would have cared. The fact that so few care now should
                 tell the NBA something, and that something is that people
                 are hip to the fact that the average game is dreadfully
                 boring compared to what it once was. A 79-75 game is not
                 going to be as interesting as a 110-105 game, and it
                 won't even be in the same discussion as a 125-120 game.

                 I can tell the NBA people something else they don't want
                 to hear. All the bells, whistles, noise, and distractions
                 that are an inherent part of what is now officially
                 referred to as ''game presentation'' are
                 counterproductive. They have done nothing to create
                 legitimate interest in the sport among the younger
                 audience to whom they are pitched, and they have totally
                 alienated the serious fan base which had taken the NBA to
                 its mid- and late '80s height.

                 Be honest. Have you heard anyone say, ''Boy, do I miss
                 the Parquet Patrol''?

                 In a better sports world, the scenario would be as
                 follows: Before we allow them to come back, the NBA, the
                 NBA players, and the NBA coaches (the silent villains in
                 this melodrama) would be forced to deal with us, the
                 constituency (I'm wearing my consumer hat now). We would
                 demand that they stop the circus acts and turn down the
                 volume. We would demand the opportunity to attend the
                 games in peace.

                 Then we would demand that coaches cease thinking they are
                 the show. The biggest myth in all of American sport is
                 the idea that the NBA is a players' league. It may be in
                 some ways, but once that ball is thrown up, the game
                 belongs to the coaches, and they are strangling the life
                 out of it.

                 We would demand basketball games with flow, basketball
                 games with fast breaks - at present, not a single team in
                 the league even semiregularly attempts fast breaks out of
                 defensive rebounds - and basketball games with just plain
                 pizzazz. We had that once. We most definitely do not have
                 that now.

                 Of course, the players they are coaching are increasingly
                 incomplete products of a sickening system that starts
                 creating star-complex monsters as young as 13. I'm not
                 going to deny that. The players don't know what they
                 should know. But there has to be a way to put a more
                 entertaining product on the floor. Perhaps the wrong
                 people are coaching in this league.

                 People in NBA management think their only problem once
                 play resumes will be to persuade the public that the
                 owners aren't all greedy and the players aren't all
                 jerks. Those are just starting points. The biggest
                 problem will be to persuade people that the actual
                 product is worth both an emotional and financial
                 investment, based on the basketball being played.

                 If you have access to Classic Sports on the telly, take
                 this challenge. Watch any available 1980s game featuring
                 the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, and Pistons, and then ask
                 yourself, ''Whatever happened to that game?'' There is no
                 comparison in entertainment value between those games and
                 the average NBA games, playoff or otherwise, of the last
                 several years.

                 That's the real problem, Mr. Stern. People know the
                 difference between what was and what is. Your nightmare
                 is still in the opening credits.

                 Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                 This story ran on page D01 of the Boston Globe on
                 12/04/98.
                 © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.