Final Thoughts on the Lockout

Since the current talks can only end in either a settlement or a lost
season, the time has come to say the things I've been meaning to say.
Here are the things that make me angriest about the lockout.

1.  It's been little commented on, but its obvious to me that there a
strong race-solidarity siege mentality going on.  There's no other way
Billy Hunter could convince so many players to wipe out their
livlihoods for the sake of a few stars 20+ million contracts.  It has
never been stated explicitly, but I am sure there is a strong
any-semitic strain going on here as well.  It's a real shame that some
of the stupidest players in the league, such as Alonzo Mourning (who
has made anti-Jewish cracks in the past, unlike so many other players
who feel the same way but kept their mouths shut) are in control of
the lockout.  We are standing strong, and they won't be happy until
they have broken us, exploited us, given us a wage we can't survive
on, etc.  What shit.  Can the fact that David Stern is Jewish - and
looks Jewish - and that many other owners and/or executives are Jewish
as well be wasted on the players?  Hunter as far as I'm concerned is
basically another Johnny Cochrane, with Falk's superstars O.J. and the
rest of the players the jury.  (That would make the season Ron Goldman
and the CBA Nicole Simpson.)  The white players may be kept in line by
peer pressure or maybe they don't pick up the anti-semitic/"the man
thinks he can break us" theme.  (They're mostly stupid too.)
What makes me mad is that the more worldly,  independent-minded older
players, like Derek Harper or Charles Barkley (conspicuously absent
from the entire lockout issue), don't speak up.

2.  Another thing that has pissed me off about the lockout are the
jackass sportswriters who say that "the public" doesn't care, "yawns,"
is "apathetic," and so on.   This may be true in some MBA's worms-eye
view of discretionary spending, but the fact is that there are
hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of NBA fans, and we are
desperately interested in the season.

3.  Finally, I wish the owners would take the timing rules off the
table.  That is such an egregious dis that it almost guarantees a
canceled season.  Maybe that is its purpose.  But blowing up the NBA
isn't the answer, and their egos and arrogance is nearly as sickening,
in this regard, as the players' stupidity, sheeplike credulousness,
and obstinate ignorance in every other case.

Josh (don't bother to flame me, this is how I see things.)