Re: Backhauls?

>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:19:01 -0700
>To: "J. Mark Estepp" <esteppjm@conrad.appstate.edu>
>From: Ken Mattina <mattinak@teleport.com>
>Subject: Re: Backhauls?
>
>>When you picked up the backhaul, you got no commercials, since they were
>>inserted locally after the signal was beamed from the satellite to the
>>subscribers.  During the commercial breaks, the announcers would comment on
>>how they REALLY felt about the game, sometimes being very candid.
>>
>>I remember that the former producer of Celtics away games ("Sweet" Lou
>>Shuman, I believe they called him) would have the cameraman pan the audience
>>during the timeouts, when the paying audience was watching some commercial.
>>He would have him zoom, and I mean ZOOM, in on some beautiful girl, or at
>>least certain parts of a beautiful girl.  The color guy (can't remember his
>>name) would say, "their you go, satellite viewers!"

Gil Santos was a pretty funny guy when watching those backhauls.  If I
remember right, the Cooz could also be pretty entertaing during the
commercials.  I do remember that they both spent quite a bit of time
talking to us satellite viewers.

And the Celtics were in the playoffs.  And the games were all free!  Oh,
those were the days.

Ken

mattinak@teleport.com
mattinak@ohsu.edu