Re: Malone & $20mil

At 12:01 PM 8/26/98 -0500, Shawn Roth wrote:
>Venkat,
>
>   The NBA's 50 greatest players was a shame.  Come on, Shaq?, Pippen?, do
they
>   really belong in the list of 50 greatest players of all times.  Shaq is
>   good, but hasn't won crap, Pippen has at least one championships, but
is one
>   of the 50 best.  Could he have lead a team by himself.  Could he have
scored
>   at will like Jordan?  I think that the NBA 50 best list was just for
pub.  I
>   really don't think you can use that list as a reason Pippen shouldn't be
>   trashed.
<snip>
>   Pippen is important to Jordan, but Jordan is more important to Pippen.
>   Pippen is an average shooting/point/small gaurd/forward.
<snip>
If this is true then why did Pippen average more PPG, RPG, APG and
SPG when Jordan was not around???? He also did this averaging
2 less minutes a game!! While still shooting 48% from the field, without
Jordan to take the pressure off. I guess if you call 20 ppg, 6apg, 7rpg
and 3 spg average, then please I'll take 5 to go!!
<snip>

 And although he
>   can do all those things well, I still do not look at him in the same class
>   as a Jordan, Bird, Tragic Johnson, or even a Charles Barkley.  He can
not be
>   counted on game in and game out to give 110% effort.  His outside shooting
>   is streaky at times, and his attitude sucks.  Anyway, that is just my
>   thoughts.
>
>Have a good day,
>
>Shawn
>
>Originally from Sampath, Venkatesh:
>>
>> Don't agree, Hart. While it's true that Pippen didn't win the
>> championship (!) without Jordan, I have no doubt in my mind that a
>> line-up of Jordan, Paxson, Cartwright and Grant would have had major
>> difficulties winning a championship as would a line-up of Jordan,
>> Rodman, Harper and Longley.
>> I don't know why Pippen keeps getting trashed on this list. He is one of
>> the 50 best all-time. The defence he played on Mark Jackson during the
>> conference finals was one of the reasons the Bulls got past the Pacers.
>> I don't think Jordan keeps insisting Pippen be a part of any team he
>> plays on because he (Jordan) likes the shape of his (Pippen's) face. In
>> any case, this is a hypothetical argument and will remain one unless
>> Pippen goes elsewhere, Jordan stays on with the rest of the Bulls and
>> there's an NBA season (with or without drug-testing!).
>>
>> venkat

JIm

Life is like a grindstone---whether it polishes you or turns
you to dust, is up to you