Re: Webber's agent spins

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Shawn Roth wrote:

> Wow,
>
>   Here is my overall point.  The league has the right to ban/test for whatever
>   they want.  If they think something hurts the league image, then they will
>   ban it.  If all of the sudden people feel that baby powder is evil, the
>   league has the right to make it illegal.  If the players don't like it, play
>   for another league.  I realize the is some problems with these statements,
>   the biggest being is that without players like Cannabis Webber, and other pot
>   smokers of his type, there is no league, but in a perfect world this is the
>   way it should be.

Shawn, my good man.  I understand 100% what you mean.  And I really
appreciate where you're coming from.  But one of the fundamental issues
here is summed up when you state "if they think something hurts the
league image, then they will ban it."  In other words regardless of who
they hurt, or how wrong they could be, they will ban it, based off of
what they think.  And while this seems alright to you, I want to ask if
you've ever heard of a man named Adolph Hitler?  He tried the very same
thing, though it had little to do with sports.  He thought those who
didn't resemble his race should be exterminated.  That was his way of
making his "perfect world."  Didn't work then and ain't workin now.

Now I know that's an extreme, but stuff like that starts with what you
support the league in doing, as it relates to drug testing anyway.

>   The owners make the rules, the employees follow them.  That is it...does that
>   explain my point?  To be real honest, I don't really care if the want to
>   light up, just as long as they are quiet about it, and are willing to pay the
>   price of being caught.
>
> Shawn

In one of your other posts, you emphatically stated that you DID care if
NBA players were smoking pot because you felt you may not be getting your
dollar value from, and I'm paraphrasing here, pot-smokers with the munchies.

If it was all about image as you say, Michael Jordan would have been in
deep jeopardy after his gambling problems.  If it was all about image,
they would be handing down severe penalties for fighting on the court.
If it was all about image, then the referees would not be getting caught
with tax evasion.  The NBA is about making money as is every business
that I know.  They will endure certain difficult situations in order to
make the bucks.

Please note that I am not comparing you to Hitler, just using his mindset
to make a point.  As David Nissen said, there is alot more to it than
merely Black and White, Legal and Illegal.

Cecil