Re: Webber's agent spins

>I do care if any NBA player lights up a blunt right before taking the court.
>He is in the spotlight and as such is treated to a different standard.  They
>choose their careers, no one is forcing them to play a game for millions.
>I do not want my pilot lighting up and I don't want NBA players lighting up.
>As a fan I feel cheated if an athlete is not performing at his peak ability on
>a given day because he does something stupid like lighting up a joint.  I pay a
>lot of money to see a NBA game, and I really don't want to waste it on a bunch
>of drowsy NBA players with the munchies.  I agree that NBA shouldn't have to
>have special laws banning substances, but other professions do.  I work as a
>computer programmer and I'm not allowed to smoke dope at my job.  Do I hold the
>lives of millions in the balance?  No I hardly think so.  I'm sure at your job
>you have similiar rules of conduct.  I would be punished/fired at my job if I
>smoked dope, so why not NBA players?
>
>Shawn

Robert "Inhale to the Chief" Parish performed at an extremely (pardon the
unintentional pun) "high" level longer than anyone in N.B.A. history. Hell,
he was 39 before Ewing started to get a small consistent edge on him. It's
none of my business if he smokes pot, it sure didn't seem to affect him
adversely. Parents are role models, kids should be taught that playing a
game for money does not make you automatically a paragon of virtue.
Athletes should be allowed to be private citizens in their personal life.
If the country is being run properly, why should anyone care if the
President has an affair. We didn't elect him to be the Pope, we elected him
to run the country. Because a guy has B-ball skills, why should we care if
he smokes pot or not? That's his business. When his activities curtail his
performance, then we should care because he's not keeping faith with the
people who pay him. I don't see pot destroying someones' abilities like
alcohol did to Mickey Mantle or Chris Mullin. I don't care about the pot
smokers in the N.B.A, The Boozers are the one's who are robbing us and
doing beer ads when the careers are over prematurely.

                                                 Michael A. DiZio