Re: Webber's agent spins

At 02:09 PM 8/18/98 -0400, Bentz wrote:
>Who said that the NBA should be above the law?  But there is no law, and
>there should not be a law, that requires drug testing of NBA players.
>Invasion of our lives has gone far enough and drug testing is one of the
>worst aspects of this specter.  I don't believe the players ought to agree
>to this change.  And I don't think that except for a very few instances
>there should be any testing.  Maybe airline piolts, trane engineers and the
>person with access to the button, but that's about it.  You may be willing
>to give up your freedom, but I am not.

Aren't you confusing two different issues, though? The NBA banning pot is
not the same as authorizing drug testing for it. They have banned other
drugs without getting any kind of systemmatic drug testing in place. It
simply allows for sanctions if someone is caught, and likely there would be
none of those escept for repeat offenses as there are now for harder drugs.

And I don't think the league is as concerned about banning pot per se as
they are about the mixed message it sends that they don't treat it like
other drug abuse at the same time as they are trying to send a message to
kids about not doing drugs. Sort of a you 'just say no' while we continue to
do what we want.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net