Re: Webber's agent spins

Speaking for myself, I'm not saying I want to see players smoking pot.
However, society already has laws against this.  Leave it to the police
to enforce the laws of the land and the NBA to run basketball games.  I
can see a case for leagues testing for performance enhancing substances,
but nothing else.  If you think we can create a society where "role
models", be they athletes, politicians, actors or musicians will behave
in ways acceptable to the parents of the children that idolize them, you
are dreaming.  Best to teach your children to look up to individuals who
are known to do good work rather than whole classes of people (eg.
basketball players) just because they are rich and famous.  But I
digress...

It has been widely reported that the players are willing to accept a ban
on pot.  Does that mean they are willing to accept random testing?  I'm
not sure.  In any case there must be some loophole they think they can
use because too many of them are smoking, by all accounts.  Neither the
players nor the league have any interest in seeing tests done and half
the players failing.

Jim

PS Cecil, "My airline pilot could have a tremendous impact."  Indeed.

>From: Shawn Roth <ufpdev!shawnr@uunet.uu.net>
>Subject: Re: Webber's agent spins
>To: celtics@igtc.COM
>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:32:27 -0500 (EDT)
>
>Wow, I don't understand the sentiment on this list.  No drug testing?
These