Re: The intellectual nature of sports, i

--
Guess I'm in a foul mood this morning as I normaly don't reply to mail such
as this :)

>Do you have nothing better to do then post this drivel?  Most people don't
>want
>to understand this let alone read it.  Please tell me you didn't type all
>this
>stuff yourself.....if you did, do you have a job?
>
>Go Celts!!!
>
>Shawn

Shawn,
        I often disagree with Noah, but I for one have no problem with these

sorts of posts and frankly they are a lot closer to the topic than many of
the posts that find their way to this group, but what the hay, lets stamp on

the minorities, except of course where that personally effects us.  BTW what

is this doing on the Celtics mailing list "...if you did, do you have a
job?", sounds like Political and/or social discussion to me.

OK so I'm being needlessly heavey handed, but the point I'm trying to make
is
that tolerance goes both ways.

>P.S.  Because of the loss at the worlds, not that I'm upset about it, we
have
>to play in to get into the 2000 Olympics.  We finished third with a bunch
of
>NBA rejects.  Don't you think we should get an exemption just for that?  I
>mean
>FIBA should be happy that we allowed games to be competative.  So they
should
>be thanking us, and begging us to do it again.

     I sure hope this is tongue in cheek.  BTW did you notice that many
teams
(US excluded) were fielding teams designed to blood their young talent for
2000, rather than to necesarily kick ass in Greece ?

Originally from Noah P. Evans:

> This is an excerpt from an interview with Chomsky included in _the Chomsky
> Reader_(readily available in Harvard Square in Wordsworth's and The Coop
for
> all of you Bostonians out there). While laden with scientific jargon, it
> does have a few gems regarding the nature of sports and their relationship
> to society that we might want to consider. I *don't* agree with a lot of
> what Chomsky says, but I do think his ideas are, at the very least,
> interesting and sometimes, at their best, profound.
>
> Noah
>
> JP=James Peck
>
> NC=Noam Chomsky
>
> <
> JP:
>
>  You've written about the way that professional ideologists and the
> mandarins obfuscate reality. And you have spoken--in some places you call
it
> a "Cartesian common sense"--of the commonsense capacities of people.
Indeed,
> [...]
> the political settlement called for in the 1954 Geneva Accords.
>  So there was a U.S. attack against South Vietnam in the early sixties,
not
> to speak of later years when the United States sent an expeditionary force
> to occupy the country and destroy the indigenous resistance. But it was
> never referred to or thought of as an American invasion of South Vietnam.
>  I don't know much about Russian Public opinion, but I imagine if you
picked
> up a man off the street, he would be surprised to hear a reference to the
> Russian invasion of Afghanistan. They're defending Afghanistan against
> capitalist plots and bandits supported by the CIA and so on. But I don't
> think he would find it difficult to understand that the United States
> invaded Vietnam.
>  Well, these are very different societies; the mechanisms of control and
> indoctrination work in a totally different fashion. There's a vast
> difference in the use of force versus other techniques. But the effects
are
> very similar, and the effects extend to the intellectual elite themselves.
> In fact, my guess is that you would find the intellectual elite is the
most
> indoctrinated sector, for good reasons. It's their role as a secular
> priesthood to really believe the nonsense they put forth. Other people can
> repeat it, but it's not crucial they really believe it. But for the
> intellectual elite themselves, it's critical that believe it because,
after
> all, they are the guardians of the faith. Except for the very rare person
> who's just an outright liar, it's hard to be a convincing exponent of the
> faith unless you've internalized it and come to believe it. I find that
> intellectuals just look at me with blank stares of incomprehension when I
> talk about the American invasion of South Vietnam. On the other hand, when

> speak to general audiences, they don't seem to have much difficulty in
> perceiving the essential points, once the facts are made accessible. And
> that's perfectly reasonable--that's what should be expected of a society
> that's set up the way ours is.
>  When I talk about, say, Cartesian common sense, what I mean is that it
does
> not require very far-reaching, specialized knowledge to perceive that the
> United States was invading South Vietnam. And, in fact, take apart that
> system of illusions and deception which functions to prevent understanding
> of contemporary reality, that's not a task that requires extraordinary
skill
> or understanding. It requires the kind of normal skepticism and
willingness
> to apply one's analytical skills that almost all people have and can
> exercise. It just happens that they exercise them in analyzing what the
New