RE: Players and money vs. workers

> If the article in the local paper is correct, Jordan's Nike merchandise
> is to top $300 million in sales.  Noah, do you think Jordan, the worker
> is going to ensure that the workers producing the shoes in Malaysia get
> their share of the profits?

Nope.

>After all, without them, neither Nike or
> Jordan would be making the money that they do!

Yes.

>And yes there are
> significant differences, like the fact that the "workers" have no union
> and are used by Nike, and indirectly by Jordan.

Yes. And I'm not to fond of it.

>The problem with the
> players and the Union is that they do not care about the long term
> health of the game.  The owners have a long term vested interest.

Now I disagree with you. Both sides have the same interest, making money.
The owner's "long term vested interest" interest is not in the sanctity of
the game of basketball, but in how much money they can make off the game
itself. That is why the owners constantly tinker with the game in order to
make it more marketable and entertaining. They change rules in order to
increase scoring(i.e. the mutable three point line, the no charge zone). If
basketball would make more money if the players danced around in tutu's and
threw a golfball through a hole in the ground, the owners would start
figuring out how they could get away with it.

Noah