FWD: Greg Minor Speaks Out

              [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]

                 Minor's details

                 Finally giving his side of story, Celtics insists he's a
                 good father

                 By Stephen Kurkjian and Peter May, Globe Staff, 08/09/98

                 Having been depicted by the mother of his three children
                 in court and in the media as a neglectful father and
                 violence-prone man, Celtics forward/guard Greg Minor
                 realized he had to speak out following an encounter with
                 a fan at Logan Airport last spring. ``You've got to take
                 better care of your family business,'' Minor recalls the
                 fan telling him as they waited for luggage.

                 Although he quickly challenged the man, saying that he
                 did not know all the facts, Minor was convinced by the
                 remark that he needed to be more energetic in getting out
                 his side of the story.

                ``Since the age of 12, I've been the one who has been
                 responsible in my family,'' said Minor during a four-hour
                 interview with the Globe last week. ``And I come from a
                 small town where everyone gets along and does things the
                 right way.
                ``Coming from a family and town as close like that, you
                 think I'd have children born out of wedlock and leave
                 them behind?'' said Minor, now 26. ``That's insane.''

                 Minor and his attorneys had declined requests for
                 interviews, and soon he was portrayed as indifferent to
                 his children's welfare, or as Sports Illustrated
                 described him in May, a ``standard bearer for
                 irresponsible fatherhood.''

                 That perception was drawn from statements made by Celestyne Y.
                 Rowan, 27, the mother of his children and
                 Minor's girlfriend for six years before their breakup, to
                 the Globe, Sports Illustrated, CNN, and Oprah Winfrey.
                 However, that portrayal appears to have been drawn from
                 incomplete information. While he appears to have
                 displayed financial and emotional immaturity during his
                 relationship with Rowan, as well as anger and bitterness
                 toward her after their split, there is little indication
                 that he knowingly neglected his children or cut himself
                 off from them.

                 Based on Rowan's accounts, it was easy to believe the
                 worst about Minor. While he had signed a contract with
                 the Celtics that was paying him $12.5 million over a
                 five-year period, she said he was providing only $2,000 a
                 month in support for his children. In addition, he had
                 allowed Rowan and the children to be forced from their
                 Louisville, Ky., home by not following through on a
                 contract to purchase the property, and he had had only
                 infrequent contact with the children, she said.

                 However, Minor and Stephanie Barrack, his fiancee, are
                 now providing versions - and with some issues, documents
                 - that differ from Rowan's accounts and on some points
                 contradict her.

                 Informed of this during an interview Thursday, Rowan
                 persisted in portraying Minor as neglectful about his
                 financial and parental responsibilities in 1996 and 1997,
                 during the year after their relationship ended.

                 However, she did concede that during that year Minor
                 provided nearly $30,000 above the $2,000 a month in child
                 support. Neither Rowan nor her attorney, Maury D. Kommor
                 of Louisville, offered details of those payments to
                 reporters or mentioned them in court last year.

                 Although the sides continue to dispute issues publicly,
                 privately they are trying to settle their differences on
                 child support, custody, and visitation rights. Jefferson
                 County Family Court Judge Denise G. Clayton has imposed a
                 gag order on Minor and Rowan, but both sides confirmed
                 that negotiations are ongoing and a deal is possible.

                ``I want to move on, Greg wants to move on, but I want to
                 make sure that the children are taken care of,'' Rowan
                 said Thursday.

                 But agreeing on things that happened in the past, and on
                 whether Minor acted responsibly as a parent, is a
                 different story. The major areas in which they disagree
                 are the following:

                 Support payments
                 Rowan told reporters last year that she was having a
                 difficult time making ends meet on the $2,000 support
                 payments being made by Minor. The Globe reported in June
                 1997 that Rowan was fending off bill collectors, unable
                 to make the monthly installment payments on her washing
                 machine, dryer, and refrigerator, or replace a tire on
                 her car.

                 While at the time Rowan was receiving only the $2,000
                 court-ordered support payment from Minor, she made no
                 mention of the fact that during the eight months between
                 September 1996 and April 1997 she had received an
                 additional $27,120 from Minor to take care of expenses
                 for herself and the children. In addition, he said, he
                 had documentation to prove that he had put $7,248 in
                 charges on his Visa card to pay for plane tickets and
                 hotel accommodations for a trip to Boston taken by Rowan
                 and the children during the Christmas season in 1996, as
                 well as gifts for the children.

                 After signing his new contract with the Celtics in August
                 1996, Minor now says, he realized that his relationship
                 with Rowan was ending and he needed to meet the financial
                 needs of their children. He says he directed his
                 financial adviser to wire additional money that Rowan
                 might need to meet her monthly bills. Minor acknowledges
                 that Rowan did not abuse the authorization and sought
                 only to meet necessary expenses. But he emphasizes - and
                 Rowan now agrees - that the children could not have been
                 living in near-poverty while the wire transfers
                 continued.

                 ``If I felt I was a bad parent or I didn't handle my
                 responsibilities, then I'd say fine'' about being
                 criticized, Minor said. ``But my obligation was to make
                 sure my kids were brought up the proper way, to make sure
                 they got the proper schooling so they didn't have to
                 struggle like I had. And I did that.''

                 Vacating family home

                 A few weeks before signing his contract with the Celtics,
                 Minor put down $38,000 to buy a new house that Rowan had
                 picked out for herself and the children in a
                 well-groomed, safe neighborhood in Louisville. Both Minor
                 and Rowan say that under their agreement Minor was to
                 take out a real estate loan for the remaining $117,000
                 and Rowan would make the monthly $900 mortgage payments
                 out of her child support money.

                 However, Minor never finalized the mortgage with the bank
                 and Rowan lived in the house for nine months without
                 making any payments. Finally, on April 30, 1997, Larry E.
                 Thompson, the contractor who had built the house and
                 arranged the sale to Minor, informed Rowan by letter that
                 she had to vacate because Minor had not followed through.

                 A month later, Rowan moved from the comfortable,
                 four-bedroom house to a far worse neighborhood in the
                 west end of Louisville where Rowan and the children were
                 forced to share a single bedroom in her mother's home.

                 Minor said last week that he was shocked and deeply
                 troubled to learn that Rowan and the children had been
                 forced to leave the home and that he did not know of
                 their plight until he read about it in the Globe in early
                 June.

                 According to Minor, he thought Rowan had finalized the
                 loan papers on her own and had been making the mortgage
                 payments out of her support money, as they had arranged.
                 He shifted the blame to Rowan for not calling him in
                 Boston or telling him about the situation when she saw
                 him and Barrack at a party in Louisville in early May.

                 However, Rowan said it was Minor's fault that she and the
                 children were forced to move. She said that Minor was
                 angry with her for seeking a significant increase in
                 child support and had not returned numerous messages she
                 left on his pager.

                 Thompson, who is involved in a lawsuit with Minor over
                 the house, sided with Rowan. He said that he spoken with
                 Minor, Minor's financial agent, the bank officer, and the
                 Celtics' front office, informing them that the sale had
                 not been consummated and that Rowan and the children may
                 have to leave the house.

                 ``I believe that he was trying to find a better mortgage
                 so the monthly bills would be lower, and that's why he
                 kept stalling,'' Thompson said. ``I didn't want to do it
                 but I had no alternative but to force them to leave.''

                 Financial straits and court default

                 While denying that he delayed signing the mortgage
                 papers, Minor acknowledged that he was in dire financial
                 straits at the time. Although he had received $1 million
                 immediately after signing with the Celtics in August
                 1996, Minor said that money was used for his agent's fee
                 ($310,000), down payments on the houses he bought for
                 Rowan and for his mother in Georgia and on a condo for
                 himself in Waltham, and a long list of personal debts he
                 had accrued while he and Rowan were together.

                 The $33,000 in monthly checks that Minor was netting from
                 the Celtics also was not bringing him, Rowan, or the
                 children many luxuries. After a hearing on Jan. 27, 1997,
                 that Minor did not attend, a domestic relations
                 commissioner ruled that his monthly support payments be
                 increased to $30,000 to reflect his new
                 multimillion-dollar contract with the Celtics. A family
                 judge upheld that amount in June '97 and set up an escrow
                 account. It wasn't until last November that Minor got the
                 amount reduced considerably.

                 At the original January hearing, Rowan, under questioning
                 by her attorney, Kommor, testified that she was receiving
                 $2,000 a month in child support, without mentioning that
                 Minor was sending her additional money to pay living
                 expenses.

                 She and Kommor also told the hearing commissioner that
                 Rowan was making $1,000 monthly mortgage payments out of
                 her child support checks.

                 Later, while agreeing that Rowan did not make any
                 mortgage payments, Kommor said neither he nor Rowan
                 intended to mislead the hearing officer. Instead, he
                 said, they were trying to provide an accurate picture of
                 what Rowan's anticipated financial condition would be if
                 and when Minor followed through on his pledge to complete
                 the mortgage deal with the bank.

                 In addition, Rowan emphasized that all of the extra
                 $27,120 that Minor sent to her went to hospital bills for
                 the children and other necessary living expenses. ``Not a
                 dime of that money went into her pocket,'' said Kommor.

                 Of course, Rowan's testimony could have been countered by
                 Minor if he had attended the hearing, but he defaulted
                 from it, claiming he hadn't had adequate notice. However,
                 court papers show that he was handed the legal notice of
                 Rowan's request to increase child support payments by a
                 Jefferson County special court bailiff, and a copy of
                 that notice was sent to his mother's home in
                 Sandersville, Ga.

                 Minor was successful last fall in getting a judge to
                 reduce his $30,000 payments to $7,860 but said he would
                 have been able to avoid the costly, year-long litigation
                 battle if he simply had been informed that Rowan was
                 going into court and if she had provided a clearer
                 picture of her financial situation at the hearing.

                 Both Minor and Rowan acknowledge that any hope for
                 restoring their relationship had disappeared by early
                 1997 and communication between them was breaking down.

                 Emerge program

                 On two occasions in 1996, angry words between Minor and
                 Rowan had led to Minor striking Rowan and shoving her.
                 Minor was arrested on June 21 and charged with
                 fourth-degree assault, but a Louisville judge ruled that
                 the charges would be dropped if he completed a 48-week,
                 battery-prevention course in Massachusetts titled EMERGE.

                 His experience with the program was not trouble-free.
                 According to news reports, he did not attend 14 of the
                 first 36 sessions, and nodded off or declined to
                 participate in some of the others. Although he ultimately
                 attended the requisite amount of sessions and the assault
                 charge was dropped, Minor, like about half of those who
                 are ordered to attend EMERGE, was not considered a
                 successful graduate.

                 ``Mr. Minor is not considered to have successfully
                 completed the program because of insufficient progress in
                 other areas,'' wrote EMERGE director David Adams in his
                 report. ``Mr. Minor does not appear to grasp the adverse
                 effect that his violence has had on Ms. Rowan or his
                 children ... At the conclusion of the program, Mr. Minor
                 had no empathy for Ms. Rowan or an understanding of her
                 concerns as a parent.''

                 Minor acknowledges that he did not agree with some of the
                 instruction during the EMERGE sessions and that he had
                 difficulty getting counselors to listen to his side of
                 the story. However, he said he learned much about himself
                 and how to contain his anger.

                 ``In all my years, there was only one relationship like
                 that,'' Minor said of his assaulting Rowan. ``I'm not
                 proud of it but I can't change it. At the same time,
                 though, I can learn from it and I have, and I've moved
                 on.''

                 This story ran on page F01 of the Boston Globe on
                 08/09/98.
                 © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.