Speaks for me

This quote from a Charlotte Observer column, Rick Bonnell, says a lot
for me.

"Both sides say they care about the fan, but I don't believe them and I
bet you don't either.  The NBA has prospered so long that the players
and owners think it's their birthright to make a bundle.

Michael Jordan says the public sees the players as "spoiled kids with a
lot of money and no effort or motivation."  The owners' reputation is no
better; either they're kiking ticket prices or threatening to move their
teams.

The '90s blinded them all to a simple reality; We don't need the NBA.
It's not milk for our babies or gas for our cars.  It's high-priced
entertainment we could live without easily.  We'll show them just how
easily if the league and the union are dumb enough to cancel
regular-season games."

Wilt Chamberlain was quoted in another article as saying:

"Baseball should have taught all these leagues a lesson, but apparently
it hasn't.  I hope I don't reflect the entire population of basketball
fans, because if I do, the league is in big trouble.  I have no patience
for this."

The point that underlies all of this is power.  The owners feel it
slipping away and the players want to seize control.  But if the players
don't wake up, they may get their 60+% of about one-half the current
revenue.  Unfortunately, for the time being, tv and corporate dollars
will fuel the NBA.  But what is going to happen if there is a downturn
in the economy?  They lose the corporate dollars and have already priced
themselves out of the regular persons buying power.  I hope they wake up
soon.  Players be greedy, owners be greedy, a pox on both their houses.

Course now, the one problem that the argument that the owners are in
control of how much they spend.  What would the Celtics fans on this
list say if Gaston does just that and trades Walker cause he wants to be
responsible.  Oh yeah, I think we have already seen the uproar that idea
has caused.  Hhhhmmmm, maybe the owners aren't worse than the players
are after all Noah.  Do you support trading Walker for two second round
draft picks to be financally sensible?  Nor do I.  That is a force that
is beyond the control of the Owners.  And it is the demand of us fans.
And the players play that for all it is worth without a care for us.

So, I think this article speaks for me.

--

Peace,

Bentz