Re: Michael Holley On WEEI

I'm with the Jackie MacMullan school of basketball management.
If you want to contend for a title these days, you better have either
a franchise center; a franchise point guard, or a Jordan/Bird/Magic/
Pippen type.  Clearly the Celtics have none of the above at the
moment, although I do hold out a little hope that Walker can reach that
level, if his game ever matures, but that's a big question mark.
I believe Pitino concurs with this position too; witness his interest in
trading Antoine to the Clippers for Olowokandi, who may very well
be an impact center.

In his quest to obtain one of the above components, Pitino is going
to be willing to deal anyone, whether that's a Walker, a Mercer,
a Pierce, whomever.  Since there's a surplus of small forwards on the
C's, it would seem logical that one or two players from that group
will be dealt.

People are fooling themselves if they think the present Celtics unit
will remain intact, and why should it?  So they can win 43 games and
wind up with eigth spot in the playoffs.  Does anyone think Pitino will
settle for such mediocrity?
WC

>From: <DJessen33@aol.com>
>Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:19:53 EDT
>To: witchcraft1998@HOTMAIL.COM, celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Re: Michael Holley On WEEI

><< There's the Walker contract; a surplus
> of small forwards; the need for a center, and a desire to create more
> cap space; all of which would seem to warrant a change over in
> personnel. >>
>
>I don't deny that we wouldn't want to make some trades. It's just that
the
>people we would be willing to trade are undesirables. We've been over
all
>that. At this point, if someone feels a trade is in the near future, I
would
>then have to think that Walker would be involved. As for the surplus of
small
>forwards, who are you considering tradeable? The only person that has
some
>value that we could afford to lose now is McCarty and I don't think
Pitino