Popeye

So, what can anyone tell me about Popeye Jones, other than he is a
rebounding stud.  All this talk about Jayson Williams makes me think we
might have that type of player already.  So, what I need to know about
Popeye:

1.    Can he play defense?  (not a shot blocker from the stats, is he a
deny the position to the big PF type?)
2.    Does he have any offense? Just a short jumper that needs to be
respected and the ability to put back layups would be fine.  (his best
year was not too bad 11.3 ppg in 34.1 min)
3.    His numbers were down in 96-97 with Toronto.  Was that due to
changing teams?

Other teams may not want to take a chance on him coming off an injury.
Maybe we can get him cheap for a couple of years.  If he can provide an
Oakley/Rodman kind of presence that would be great.  On-hoops says he
made 1.9 million this year.  However they also say about him "Deluxe
boardsman who, at 6-8, isn't really your 4 man on a good team".  I'm
looking for someone who can tell me more than I can see from the stat
sheet.

Jim