Re: ANTOINE'S CONTRACT

At 08:59 PM 4/26/98 -0800, Paul M wrote:
>>He may very well grow out of it. Some do, as you and Pitino point out, but
>>more don't. For every Mark Jackson, there are several Todd Days.
>
>>Kim Malo

>Kim, how can you say that? I don't know how you can say that with your
>seeming certainty. Couldn't I just as easily say that for every Mark
>Jackson and Rasheed Wallace and Dennis Johnson and Shawn Kemp there's one
>Todd Day. Seems to me that the vast majority of players in the NBA were at
>one time emotionally immature, just like everybody else, and grow up.

Well, the ones that succeed did grow up. But plenty don't, and either live
with a certain reputation or are out of the league despite a world of
talent. This is actully pretty funny, where you say you don;t know how I can
say what I did with such certainty, since I was only responding to your
apparent certaintly that he will grow up and mature and fill his potential.
All I did was point out that that's not a given. Oh well : )

> I'll
>say it one more time: Larry Bird said that he'd love to have Allan Iverson
>in four years. That when players come out of college early they spend their
>first few years in the league concentrating on developing their own games.
>Seems fair enough. Now, the vast majority of players in the NBA certainly
>don't have Walker's skills. Seems evident enough.

Yup. Again, I have never argued about Walker's surpassing talent level. Just
have more doubts about what he does and will do with it, and more concern
about the other stuff.

Maybe what isn't clear is that I am not anti-Walker. What I am is immensely
frustrated when I see what he could be, with he himself the most likely
party to keep him from getting there. I'm not saying he won't, just a lot
less sure that he will. And maybe there's an even greater irony here -maybe
I see Walker as potentially more than you do and that's why I'm so
frustrated with what I see now and you are not.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net