Re: Antoine

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net>

>I really don't see where you get off with that last statement. The Walker
>that Pitino was handed this year was not the Walker he last coached. There
>was a year of ML's TLC in between that set his development as a pro and
>player backwards and did even more harm to his attitude/maturity. No one
>with any sense can deny his talent, but anyone who says they are sure about
>how fully he will fill the potential he has is dreaming And that probably
>includes Walker himself.

I don't agree with you and I am not quoting stats Walker has shown in two
years that
a) He can rebound with the best there is in NBA
b) He can dribble and pass
c) He can play all three positions in the front court
d) He can shoot (with average, given support from his backcourt) and is not
afraid to take the game winning jumper.
e) He has shown versatility, exceptional durability and exceptional stamina
<I don't know many 6'9"who will survive 42 min of Pitino style run and gun
system>.

> And the immaturity he has shown not only holds his
>own development back, but has hurt his team too. Yes, I know what his stats
>were, and they were impressive. But some of them were really ugly too, like
>shots missed. Put them in context, such as the number of times Walker never
>even looked to pass and forced a bad shot when someone like Mercer was open
>and screaming for the ball, and they look even uglier.

Surely, and I am not saying that he is perfect because had this been the
case, he would be regarded as the second best player in the NBA behind
Jordan. The question is are these mistakes so gross that they completely
outweigh the talent and the potential on display? Isn't Rick Pitino also at
fault for not reprimanding his protege, and benching him for re-occurences.
Is it not possible that he feels that the mistakesare correctible and are
just a matter of team chemistry that's one of the reasons why he hasn't
taken the afore-mentioned step?

>And are a good part
>of why there are questions about signing him, when something like his 20/10
>status should make it a no brainer. Are the ugly stats and habits
>correctible? Of course.

I don't agree with you here again. The questions about signing him have to
do with Gaston's obvious reluctance to spend money. So far business-wise  he
has been very succesfull by serving up crappy teams and stealing money from
the season ticket holders. Now when it's pay-back time he is preaching
fiscal responsibility. He would have the same objection to signing a Pippen
or Peyton to a 6 years 100 million dollar contract.

>Can you guarantee that Walker WILL correct them? I'd
>love to hear how, based on what Gaston, Pitino, and the rest of us have
>watched from him this year. Ans if he doesn't correct them, then he's not
>worth the money, because he will continue to post gaudy stats and his team
>will continue to lose. It's a judgement call I'm glad I don't have to make.

In every business there is a risk and this is the risk in this business. If
I were to make the call, based on what I have watched I will say that Walker
will be one of the best players in the NBA and will sign him long term to
his market value. - Mishra