Re: Pippen

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dan Forant wrote:

> We don't need Pippen. He's injury prone now. Lot of wear and tear on that
> body. Were growing at an incredible pace. Moving up to another level will
> not be as easy.

Sorry if this thread is getting old, but had to respond.  I'm no fan
or hater of the Bulls so hopefully can be semi-objective.  It seems to me
that if Pitino seriously wants to "move up to another level", getting
Pippen is by FAR the best way to do it.

>We need some players that can perform at key positions,
> like inside, and another shooting guard,

And also at SF.  For everyone who comments on 2 or 3 incidents
of bad behavior over a career, just watch him play on the court once
this season.  I have to shake my head everytime I watch because
he could come in and immediately be our best finisher, shotblocker,
stealer, help or manToMan defender(over Bruce), 2nd best scorer, passer.
And make it look easy. You don't find a great shotblocker & steals man often.
Hypothetically I think he and Hakeem are the only 2 players in modern time
who realistically have skills to get a 5double (Pts, boards, assists,
blks, steals).

Watch the way he carries himself on the court, compare his demeanor to our
star.  The guy is stoic and focused, doesn't even give up on opposing
players w/ breakaway layups, is as responsible for controlling an offense
from pointForward spot as Bird was.  He's been a winner at every level
even the year MJ was out.  Attributes of a "True Celtic"?