Re: play-offs

> From: MAURICE SPRUIJT <MAURICSP@bl.tmf.hva.nl>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: play-offs
> Date: Thursday, April 09, 1998 5:04 AM
>
> But who are we going to beat next year to be in the play-offs? I mean
> we might be a good team next year, but there are so many other good
> teams.

The C's will beat a team like the Nets, Cavs, Knicks or Hawks.  If they
continue to improve strongly, I EXPECT  them to be a 4-6 seed playoff team
next year.

> I think we won't have a better record next year than these teams:
> Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Charlotte and Atlanta

Again I expect the C's to get to a higher level, this includes being better
than the Hawks and maybe the Hornets.  I agree the Bulls, Heat and Pacers
will probably stay strong, assuming MJ returns, which I have to believe the
league has set up to happen m/l from the beginning.  Can you say NBA
Entertainment?

> Cleveland, New York and New Jersey are probably going to be better next
year.

I would not assume any of these 3 teams will be better next year.  Maybe
NJ.

> And there you have it, 8 teams already. We'll never be higher than a
> 6th seed, and even play-offs is going to be hard.

Why use the word "never"?  The Celtics will return to being a league strong
hold, which is far better than a 6th seed, in the next 2 to 3 years.  Have
some optimism.

>I doubt we'll get another great player from the Draft. So we definitely
need to make
> some moves in the offseason.

Duh!

> Also, Washington should be up and coming some season. Better watch
> out for them too.

The pundits have been saying this for at least 3 years.  I doubt the league
will ever have to seriously watch out for them, unless you mean at the
cinema or on America's Most Wanted.  The definition of underachievers.

> Orlando, Milwaukee, Detroit, Philadelphia and Toronto are teams that
> shouldn't be better than the Celts.

I agree 100%

> So I won't take next year play-offs for granted.

Take making the playoffs for granted.  Success beyond this should of course
never be taken for granted.  Bill Russell retired 30 years ago.

What an exciting year, I hope they win 3 more to get to 37 wins, or less
than 10 games below .500.  How about one more BIG win beating the Pacers on
Easter/Masters Sunday?  It would maybe make LB's day too.

Rafters in 2000 Baby,
Greg