Cousy on Dontae'

Last week we were discussing the Celtics win over the Pistons, where
Dontae' Jones hit two 3-pointers in the final 90 seconds to cut the
lead from 7 to 1 before Antoine Walker's buzzer-beater.

Someone asked if Cousy got excited during the game, and I made a reply.

I recently was setting my tape of the game to record something, and
came across the point where Dontae' was brought into the game with just
over 8 minutes to play, and Detroit leading 90-73.  After a timeout,
as play resumed, Cousy said the following:

  "Good time of the game for Dontae' Jones, with all his offensive
   skills and the defenses are starting to let down.  Detroit with
   a big lead for this juncture in the game, will also relax a bit.
   So a kid like that develops a quick hot hand, he could run off 8
   or 10 points."

This was before Dontae' had even taken a shot.

On the very next play after Cousy finished that statement, Barros
passed to Dontae', who hit his first shot.  Cousy exclaimed, half-
sarcastically:

  "Dontae' with a 3!  Here he comes!  Get ready!"

Dontae' finished with 9, so Cousy's "8 to 10 points" estimate was
right on the money.  He also anticipated the Detroit letdown, quite
impressively.

Jon Mc