newly anointed gigastar

K. Kveraga wrote:

<< I haven't had the time to do a count, but sometimes it seems as
though these three account for 90% of the games shown on TNT, TBS and
NBC, with the Bulls being the Keri Strug of professional basketball in
terms of # of times shown. I know Jordan is fascinating and may be
retiring, but come on! This has become really annoying, much like
Kareem's and Magic's numerous retirement tours. I won't even get into
the topic of the newly annointed gigastar named after a Japanese city.>>

Actually, the newly anointed gigastar was named after A CUT OF STEAK.
Apparently, "Jellybean" Bryant and Mrs. Jellybean were having dinner at
a swanky Japanese restaurant, saw Kobe beef on the menu and decided they
liked the name.

As I understand it, Kobe beef cattle are pampered to the nth degree,
given special diets and massages, so that their meat is exceptionally
tender and well-marbled.  In short, "Kobe" connotes spoiled, fat and
lazy -- sounds like a better name for Shaq.  Once the inevitable
C's/Lakers rivalry heats up again, perhaps we can start calling Mercer
"The Butcher".

Michael Gooen