Re: Random Thoughts

At 04:07 PM 3/31/98 -0500, Jeremy Ryan wrote:

<snip>
>3) As you can probably see, I think we should do everything in our power
>to acquire a low-post scoring threat. I believe that it will be much
>easier to get a 4 to do this instead of a 5, looking at the draft and free
>agent prospects. It is crucial to stretch-run and playoff success to get
>this type of player for 'grind it out' types of games, unless your guards
>are named Jordan, Pippen, and Kukoc.
>
>I would enjoy seeing responses to these thoughts. That's what lists like
>these are great form the free-flow of ideas, Celtics-related or not.

Well, we have the same area of concern but on different ends of the court. I
think we need to worry more about a defensive presence in the paint to stop
the layup drills when the press breaks down and cover up for other defensive
lapses by discouraging layup drills from driving guards and wheeling bigmen.
Take some of the defensive rebounding duties from Walker.  Don't get me
wrong -we do need more scoring from the paint rather than relying so much on
outside jumpers, but that doesn't have to come from a new center or PF. At
least not in toto. It's largely a matter of teamwide shot selection and
learning how to make the mpst of opportunities to drive or post up. I'd look
more for someone with the defenseive skills, presence and commitment, with
soft hands and hopefully enough passing ability for effective pick and rools
and passing back out of the post fo the outside shooters. Offense would be
nice, but honestly I'd be happy for now with someone just capable of making
the putback bunnies rather than blowing them so often.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net