Re: cap and FAs

At 09:55 AM 4/1/98 -0500, Jim wrote:
>Either that or let Toine become unrestricted(risky thought)
> and then sign Baker then sign Toine by matching any offer he recieves
>JIm
Doubtful if that would work, because he stays on our cap until we renounce
our rights (to free up money for Baker) but once we renounce his rights,
then we cannot re-sign him until about 56 days into the new season and can
no longer go over the cap to sign him because he's no longer 'our' FA. We
also have to deal with Mercer then too. The original scenario is the one to
follow if they intend to re-sign him.

However, a couple points-
  Most calculations of available cap space don't take into account the
amount the cap will go up for everybody from the new TV deal. Estimates I've
heard have been in the $6-8 million range. So we won't be quite as
disasterously over as it appears.
  Many of the proposals out there with the re-opening of the CBA involve
limiting the amount that can be paid to any one player. Anything that gets
passed along those lined will have a direct effect on the situation.

-Kim

>At 09:40 AM 4/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>As I understand it, if we sign Walker to 15- 20 mil this summer, then we
>>will be over the cap for a long time to come, so we must sign a free
>>agent this summer before we sign Walker.  We cannot sit on the money
>>until VB becomes a FA next year because we won't have any cap room
>>next year.
>>
>>Still I agree that Geiger is not worth 7 mil.  I am hoping that the Cs can
>>make a trade to free up some more cap room and then sign Gugliotta or
>>McDyess.
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net