Re: Will the Celtics make the playoffs in 1997-98?

While I agree generally with Roy's optimism about being in the thick of
things at the end (albeit the bottom of the thick) and possibly--due to
injuries on other teams--the playoffs, his assessment of the C's=Hornets
and the Celts being deeper than the Magic are a little out of whack:

>    Compare the staring lineups one by one, and Charlotte doesn't
>look like they could totally dominate the C's(Vlade, Mason, Rice,
>Phills,Wesley).  It seems like our starting 5 would match up almost
>exactly in playing style, and skill.  I think Charlotte is our mirror
>image(for example, Delk, and Dee coming of the bench).
>The Celtic defense should be just as agressive as Charlotte's last year.

Wesley vs. Billups (or Dee) - Despite Pitino not wanting Wesley (or
preferring Billups) Wes is better NOW.  Maybe Billups will surpass him by
next season but for now Wes gets my nod.  Remember Wes beat out Dana and
Dee last year before all were injured (ADVANTAGE: HORNETS)

Phills vs. Mercer - Mercer, I think will be a star and has the body to
adjust quickly to the NBA.  I think Phills is really underated, much like
Wesley. This is as close as it gets (ADVANTAGE: EVEN)

Rice vs. Mills - I like the pickup of Mills but Rice is a stud. (ADVANTAGE:
HORNETS)

Mason vs. Walker - Same as PG.  Walker has the potential to be better than
Mason soon (next 2-3 years) but Mason is a hard worker and is THE reason
the Hornets did so well last year. (ADVANTAGE: HORNETS)

Divac vs. Knight - Divac is another underated guy, Knight (like alot of the
C's) has potential.  He's never gonna be an all-NBA center but I think he's
the type of center that a team like Orlando, Minnesota or Charlotte could
use to make the Finals after the Bulls run is over. (ADVANTAGE: HORNETS)

I think Pitino is the guy who can draw out the potential of Billups,
Mercer, Walker and Knight (and improve Mills' game) but this season the
Hornets are clearly a better team (and in my mind have the chance of the
conference finals).

Lets not confuse potential and talent!

>> tie-7) Orlando.  They won 47 games last year while dealing with the loss of
>> Shaq, injuries to Anderson, Hardaway, and Scott, and an insurrection
>> against the coaching staff.  This summer they got Daly, reinforced the
>> front line, got rid of Scott, and will move Penny to the 2 to cut him loose
>> to separate Mike from his scoring title.  Only reason I put them this low
>> is injury potential.  They are a pretty fragile team.
>
>At the forward, and PG position the C's have the edge in talent
>(when Penny is at the 2 spot).  Also, the Celtics are deeper

Orlando Bench:
Derek Harper
Brian Shaw
Derek Strong
Bo Outlaw
Johnny Taylor
Amal McCaskill (or Danny Schayes)

Boston Bench:
Dee Brown
Dana Barros
Andrew DeClercq
Tony Massenberg
Greg Minor
Pervis Ellison

Derek Harper/ Brian Shaw vs. Dee Brown/Dana Barros - I know this is
blasphemy in Celtic Nation, but I'd rather have Harper & Shaw than Dana &
Dee. (1) All 4 can play both guard positions, but Harper & Shaw aren't
mismatched sizewise. (2) Harper and Shaw have been a little more reliable
physically over the last 2-3 years. (3) Harper is a winner, Dana and Dee
haven't proven they can do that.

Derek Strong/Bo Outlaw vs. Andrew DeClerq/Tony Massenberg - this is kind of
a wash. Outlaw's the only one by Nov. 1 that won't have played for the C's.
I think we should have held onto Strong, but that's in the past.  They are
all Hard-Nosed players, who give 110%.  DeClerq and Strong have more
athleticism, Outlaw and Massenberg are bangers.

Johnny Taylor vs. Greg Minor - Minor's never showed me that he is going to
be anything but 8-10 player on the team.  Taylor may get some real
important minutes as a rookie.

Amal McCaskil vs. Pervis Ellison - Pervis, if healthy, is head and
shoulders above Amal.  But that isn't often.

The injury problems the C's bench have had over the ML regime give the edge
to the Magic, but if the Benches played each other in a best of 7 series
it'd be damn interesting (and close).

- --mark