Re: Will the Celtics make the playoffs in 1997-98?

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Chris Littlefield wrote:

> 2) New York.  They are PISSED about last year's suspension debacle.  They
> (read: Ewing) are somewhat rickety but have one of the deepest teams in the
> East.  Healthy and playing like they did last year in the playoffs, they
> win 62-64 games.

    The C's gave NY alot of trouble last year, w/ one of the most
ridiculously small frontcourts I've ever seen.  I agree w/ ML,
that the C's will get a championship before NY.
The Knick names look good on paper, but in general they're older,
players w/ average athleticism.

> tie-3) Charlotte.  They won 54 games last year, lost no impact players, and
> signed a new, young backcourt.  They flopped in the playoffs but ran into a
> buzzsaw in NY.

    Compare the staring lineups one by one, and Charlotte doesn't
look like they could totally dominate the C's(Vlade, Mason, Rice,
Phills,Wesley).  It seems like our starting 5 would match up almost
exactly in playing style, and skill.  I think Charlotte is our mirror
image(for example, Delk, and Dee coming of the bench).
The Celtic defense should be just as agressive as Charlotte's last year.

> tie-7) Orlando.  They won 47 games last year while dealing with the loss of
> Shaq, injuries to Anderson, Hardaway, and Scott, and an insurrection
> against the coaching staff.  This summer they got Daly, reinforced the
> front line, got rid of Scott, and will move Penny to the 2 to cut him loose
> to separate Mike from his scoring title.  Only reason I put them this low
> is injury potential.  They are a pretty fragile team.

At the forward, and PG position the C's have the edge in talent
(when Penny is at the 2 spot).  Also, the Celtics are deeper

> tie-7) Washington.  They've got the tools to win 50-55 games and go deep
> into the postseason.  Was last season's 20-8 tear to get into the playoffs
> a fluke?

These guy's didn't handle last years Celts that well either.  I could
see us w/ a better record in the end.

> 	I think that all of the preceding 10 teams have the potential,
> barring injuries, to be much better than Boston, based on personnel alone.

Remeber Pitino's track record w/ new teams, and talented rookie
Pt guards.  The C's could be right up there w/ Wash, Charlotte,
Orlando, Detroit, Minn, in the end.  We should expect a huge win
difference from last year and a good shot at the playoffs.

NY, Atl, Ind w/ their mentally tough, & playoff hungry veterans,
and halfcourt games could be out of our league for now.