Re: training camp

Ken Kukubo wrote:
> Nobody is in camp yet, so what is there to write really?
> At 11:22 AM -0400 9/26/97, Dorine Pratt wrote:
> >Actually, I remember in years past there was quite awhile in the summer
> >when the Globe didn't have any Celtics news at all.
> >In spite of the lack of reporting much this year, I think there's actually
> >been more than most years, believe it or not.
> >Dorine
> >
> >RSMALL@clarku.edu wrote:
> >
> >> Am I wrong, or do the Celtics start traing camp next week?  If so, Where
> >>are the#%&*^@# articles in the local newspapers?
> >>
> >> Rich,,,

I agree.  There's no camp now, so all you can do is speculate about trades.
The only thing to speculate about with the Celtics is which of their 13
players will be asked to go on the injured list when the season starts.

I'm glad the Globe isn't going out and starting false trade rumors like so
many in the news media have been doing.  I take their silence as a sign that
they're too professional to behave like tabloid journalists who try to make
sensational stories out of nothing.

Also look at this... there's a lot of other sports news to cover right now
in the Boston area.  The New England Patriots are 4 and 0, and have by far
the widest margin of victory per game of any team in the NFL.  There's big
news on where the Patriots will be playing in the future... in an improved
Foxborough Stadium, or in Rhode Island.  The Bruins have started exhibition
games, and are in a similar situation to the Celtics... horrible finish
last year, the number 1 and number 8 picks in the draft, and I think a new
coach, and now their star number 1 pick is out for 2 months due to a stupid
slashing penalty (that wasn't called) by an opponent.  The Red Sox are
finishing their last week of the season, with Mo Vaughn's future in the
news, Rookie-of-the-Year-to-be Nomar Garciaparra adding to his
record-breaking rookie totals, new prospects like speedster Michael Coleman
and pitcher Robinson Checo being given a look at the major league level for
the first time, and news that the 1999 All-Star game will be played in
Fenway Park.  The New England Revolution soccer team just made the MLS
playoffs for the first time, with 2 exciting wins to end the season,
and drawing over 36,000 fans for their last game.

There's just no room to put Celtics rumors in the paper with all that going on.

On Tuesday, expect to see a small amount of regular Celtics coverage starting,
since baseball will take up less space, and by October 8th there should be
LOTS of Celtics, since the big Patriots/Broncos Monday Night Football game
will be over, the NE Revolution season will probably be over by then, and the
NBA exhibition games will be starting the next day.

Jon McIntyre