Re: Joe Smith for Walker

          I'm on the fence on this Walker for Joe Smith trade.
          Assuming the Celts re-sign Smith, you have to compare the
          two as players. Smith is a legitimate 6-10 and, if he bulks
          up even a little could be an outstanding power forward. He
          is an explosive leaper with long arms, a good shot-blocker
          and scorer, and an adequate rebounder. Walker is 6-8 or 6-9
          and really more of a natural small forward. He has better
          passing skills and, even though smaller, is a better
          rebounder. He is not the scorer or shot-blocker Smith is.

          Then look at the Celtics' needs. They have capable players
          at the 1-2-3 spots (Billups, Mercer, Mills), but are weak up
          front, especially defensively. Smith is the better fit, and
          is perfectly suited for Pitino's system.

          The question is, which player will be better in the long
          run? I'm not sure, but in this case I'm willing to side
          with all the scouts who made Smith the No. 1 overall pick in
          a draft that included Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace,
          Jerry Stackhouse and Damon Stoudamire. He wouldn't be the
          first player to go to a bad environment and not live up to
          expectations. And remember, even though he has been
          something of a disappointment, his numbers are better than
          Walker's.

          I guess what I'm saying is, I'm willing to give Pitino the
          benefit of the doubt if he makes what would be a
          controversial trade.

          Mark