Re: Would you make this trade?

jaspindler@aol.com (JASPINDLER) wrote:
>Reading Peter May's NBA column in today's Globe an idea for a trade with
>the Nuggets comes to mind:
>
>Denver signs McDyess to a long term extension at the megabucks that
>comparable talents are getting, say 7 years in the 85-100M$ range.  Denver
>then trades McDyess and Bobby Jackson (rookie point guard from Minnesota
>Gophers) to Boston for Billups, Barros and Ellison. In order for this to
>work under the cap, we may need to take a player from Denver, one who is in
>the last year of his contract, that we could cut and eat the salary of if
>necessary.
>
>Our team then looks as follows:
>
>Position
>PF           McDyess,  Massenburg, Walker
>SF           Mills, Walker, Bowen
>C             Knight, DeClercq
>SG          Mercer, Minor, Brown
>PG          Edny, Jackson, Brown
>(Brown and Walker listed at 2 positions)
>
>12 very athletic players, 3 with allstar potential (McDyess, Walker,
>Mercer), all of whom can run and play terrific defense.  Biggest question
>mark is the point.
>
>Pluses to this deal for Boston:  We get an allstar PF that fits Pitino's
>style.  We can use Walker at the 3, 4 and 5 if neccessary as an all purpose
>6th man.  We have major insurance against losing Walker to free agency.  If
>he can't be resigned long term, he is dealt in year 3.  We get rid of
>Ellison and Barros contracts.
>
>Minuses:  We lose Billups. Can Bobby Jackson develop into a solid point
>guard under Pitino? I would say that this deal makes this a worthwhile
>risk. Jackson is stronger and bigger than Billups, but not as quick and
>creative.  Perhaps Jackson can become a David Wesley clone in a 6'4" frame.
> His hallmark is defense, and he is a tireless worker.
>
>Pluses to this deal for Denver:  Billups will put fannies in the seats
>like few other players could for the Nuggets.  Denver avoids a PR disaster
>by not losing McDyess and getting much in return.  Denver has other options
>for the PF position, although none as talented as McDyess.  Denver can even
>claim that they "shafted" Boston on the EW deal.  Denver gets a bonafide 3
>point shooter in Barros.
>
>Minueses: Denver gets stuck with Pervis.
>
>All in all, I would say that this is a fair deal, and a win for both
>teams.  Perhaps, the deal could work with Minor instead of Barros, but the
>key is a 3 for 2, which gets us down to a 12 man roster.

I don't like the idea of giving up Billups, I say give them Minor, Barros
and Pervis. And Instead of MyDyess at PF put him at C with Knight Backing
him up, and Walker at PF , With Pitino up tempo game plan we could always
keep fresh players in and have an awesome bench. I think that would work,
and could even put Knight in when paly against big teams like Spurs and
Shutdown Duncan and McDyess shutting down Robinson. This would make the
celtics great.
- --

GO CELTICS!!!!! GO BRUINS!!!! GO RED SOX!!!! GO PATRIOTS!!!!