Re: Would you make this trade?

IMO the Celtics would be insane to pass up what is basically a Mcdyess &
Jackson trade for Billups.  Even if Jackson is not the point Billups is,
getting Mcdyess would provide them with a pretty impressive young front
line of Walker, McDyess, Declercq, & Knight, and allow them to take a look
at McDyess & Walker and if they see them both as a 4, move the odd man out
for a real center or maybe a big point like Brandon or even a Stoudamire.

I believe Jackson is actually smaller than Billups, Jackson about 6' - 6'1"
and Billups 6'2" - 6'3" , although Jackson is a tough defender and decent
floor leader which is what the Celtics need with Mercer, Walker, Mills,
Bowen, & Knight can providing the offense.

Although I find it hard to believe they would make this move but Billups
could be their final piece ?

- ----------
> From: Tony Pinto <bagaco@worldnet.att.net>
> To: jaspindler@aol.com; celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Re: Would you make this trade?
> Date: Sunday, September 14, 1997 4:45 PM
>
> jaspindler@aol.com (JASPINDLER) wrote:
> >Reading Peter May's NBA column in today's Globe an idea for a trade with
> >the Nuggets comes to mind:
> >
> >Denver signs McDyess to a long term extension at the megabucks that
> >comparable talents are getting, say 7 years in the 85-100M$ range.
Denver
> >then trades McDyess and Bobby Jackson (rookie point guard from Minnesota
> >Gophers) to Boston for Billups, Barros and Ellison. In order for this to
> >work under the cap, we may need to take a player from Denver, one who is
in
> >the last year of his contract, that we could cut and eat the salary of
if
> >necessary.
> >
> >Our team then looks as follows:
> >
> >Position
> >PF           McDyess,  Massenburg, Walker
> >SF           Mills, Walker, Bowen
> >C             Knight, DeClercq
> >SG          Mercer, Minor, Brown
> >PG          Edny, Jackson, Brown
> >(Brown and Walker listed at 2 positions)
> >
> >12 very athletic players, 3 with allstar potential (McDyess, Walker,
> >Mercer), all of whom can run and play terrific defense.  Biggest
question
> >mark is the point.
> >
> >Pluses to this deal for Boston:  We get an allstar PF that fits Pitino's
> >style.  We can use Walker at the 3, 4 and 5 if neccessary as an all
purpose
> >6th man.  We have major insurance against losing Walker to free agency.
If