Re: Duncan (was Re: Antoine Walker)

Adam A Suchocki wrote:

> Those stats are not all that impressive - don't get me wrong, he is a
> very
> good player, but 3rd in ACC history is not that big an accomplisment
> when
> you are talking best of all time.  Check Out Bill Walton's stats
> sometime,
> or Alcindar's.  As for big time centers going to a title - Walton,
> Ewing,
> Alcindar all won titles.  Moreover, the only reason Duncan is as high
> as
> he is on  a lot of the career stat lists is for a long time froshmen
> didn't play, and more recently, hardly anyone ever plays a senior
> year.
> Quoting things like unanimous all american and player of the year as
> making someone the best college center ever is kind of meaningless -
> do
> you really think Walton and Alcindar didn't win the awards by huge
> margins
> also. You claimed Duncan was the best college center of all time, not
> of
> the last ten or fifteen years.  Do be honest, he hasn't come close to
> Bill
> Waltons accomplishments - check out Bill Waltons NCAA Tournament stats
> -
> especially a certain championship game if you want to see true
> greatness.
>
> Adam

Adam:

Are you talking about that game where UCLA played its own bteam.  Oh,
that's right, they played Memphis State.  There was an oppenent on the
floor.  If you saw the game and read the stats, you would have sworn
that nobody was playing against them. Walton was like a god that night.

On the freshman thing.  At about the same time that Kareem came to power
out at UCLA, the University of South Carolina had some of its best
years.  This was right before freshmen became eligible.  If I recall
correctly, John Roache, Tom Owens and a few others, freshman only, beat
a decent South Carolina team by more than 20.  But, more impressively,
Kareem and his freshman class, beat a UCLA team that was the NCAA
champion.  Think of that, you are the NCAA champs, but get beat by a
frosh team.  Of course, that is probably just a myth, or a mixed up
memory.  Does anyone know if that urban legend is true?

Peace,

- --
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net