Re: Walker being traded

>and under direct questioning admitted he didn't
>understand why he was being snubbed, because his stats were as good as
>anyone.  A day or two later, Walker had a monster game, but all Peter May
>could talk about in the Boston Globe was how Walker needed to grow up and
>learn stats were not everything.

I'm assuming after Walker's comments about stats and his subsequent monster
"stat" game/team loss, May assumed he was playing for ROY. I'm sure May was
looking for some sort of answer like, "Who cares about rookie of the year.
We're one of the worst teams in NBA history. It would be nice to win a game
or two every now and then." It would be interesting to know how Marbury
answered the ROY questions. Listen...I agree with Adam's assessment of
Walker. He is very young and extremely multi-talented. There is, however,
no one who knows him as well as Pitino. It could very well be that, as
Pitino says, he needs his butt kicked constantly to stay focused. Or
perhaps he needs a personal goal, like ROY, to stay focused. But, as I said
before, last year was probably the first time in his life when winning
wasn't important, so I think he could be given a break. I'll tell you one
thing though, if the Celtics come out and start losing night after night,
Walker's the first one traded. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, he
better start being the difference between winning and losing.

>- and I've yet to figure out how one is selfish by getting too many
>assists and rebounds.

I agree with you about assists. Rebounds however...Rodman's been criticized
the past couple years for padding his rebounding stats by playing mediocre
defense and simply positiioning himself for boards. Who knows?

Paul M.