Re: Billups

Please hold all opinions pertaining to Billups until after the season.  I
am saying this because it is very difficult to learn a totally new system
and be effective in "Rick Ball".  I am a High School coach and I can
tell you that no matter whether you are a college or pro player, the run
and jump, half court trap, three quarter court press, and full court
press is tough to comprehend in preseason with Pitino. " Rick Ball" is
designed to press you with the diamond press when the ball is in the
middle of the floor and the 2-2-1 when the ball is in the corners.
A press is should be based on quickness.  However," Ricky Ball" is based
on quickness and angles.  Rick feels that if you take the right angles on
the press,  the press will be effective.  For example:  The point of the
press should trace the ball helped by the throw in man.  Once the ball is
thrown in, he should step back a couple of steps to get at a certain
angle before he traps.  McCarthy does a super job with being the point of
the press.
Billups will be super in time.  However, Pitino's  system is not designed
to be point guard orientated like the Jazz.  The point guard is suppose
to push the ball up the court, find the open man, or drive to the basket.
 Rick wants a lay up or a three pointer, not a setup offense.
Furthermore, Rick wants the quick basket so he can press and disrupt your
offense for easy baskets.  I repeat again, this a tough system to learn.
Just look how much comfortable McCarthy looks after playing for Rick for
several years and was able to step in not miss a beat, but sat on the
Knicks bench going unnoticed.  I say lets judge Billups after a season of
"Ricky Ball".  He does not look good because what he should be doing on
the court is not a habit and he is thinking about what he "should do" and
" should not do".  Basketball is a reaction sport and the speed that
Pitino wants the players to play, one has to react as soon as possible by
making actions on the court a habit with little time to try to remember
what to do.
Moreover, Rick Pitino sign to two guys who gave him HELL in the S.E.C. in
Jones and Rogers.  Rogers blocked like 10 or 12 shots in one game I think
in Rupp Arena.

Greg