Thank You Pitino

As some have you have probably grown sick of, I've spent a lot of time
complaining about the signing of Chris Mills ever since it happened.  I
still don't see how someone with Mills speed limitations was supposed to
play the 3 in Pitinio's system.

I love the trade.  Although I still would like to undo some of Pitino's
moves, this one makes a lot of sense (though I don't know how it gets
around the leagues ban on trading newly signed free agents).

We basicly got 3 mid first round picks for Chris Mills.  It's kind of
funny when you realize we may have gotten more for Mills than Denver did
for McDeyus (gee, maybe we could have traded Mills straight up for McDeyus
if he really is worth three mid first rounders).

Anyway, I love Dante Jones game.  He is a very powerful swingman with good
speed and greaaat finishing skills.  He is a decent shooter, but is a
little bit of a headcase.  His biggest problem is the injured foot which
still may not have healed.  Overall, he has a   decent chance of someday
being our starting 2 or 3 along with Mercer.

Walter McCarty has always struck me as a bit of a stiff.  he is very tall,
but not very physical.  When the going got tough at UK, McCarty was always
one of the first to get pulled.  On the oother hand, he can play the
system and has size.  We need back up big men, and he should do better
than most.

John Thomas is a big unknown to me.  I don't remember him doing much in
the tournament, but I spent more time watching Bobby Jackson (why couldn't
we have signed Jackson instead of Billups - Jackson is thriving at both
ends of the floor in Denver's new uptempo system - a draft day trade of
Billups for Battie and Jackson might have worked out for both sides).
Anyway, maybe Denver can help us out here.  They need another Center, yeah
Thomas is a little small, but we might be able to work something out like
Thomas and Greg Minor for Johnny Newman.  I'm not a big Newman fan, but he
fits the system and he is a free agent soon.

Another pluss for the trade is the length of the contracts.  Jones and
Mcarty are free agents in two years when Walker becomes a free agent.
With all three free agents then, we could have some decent money to add
another player.

Now, the roster is a little to full.  Counting the three new additions
(and ignoring the already cut Brooks) we have 16 players.  Cunningham is a
goner.  SO we have 15.  Tyus Edney didn't even get into the game.  The
only reason he was even signed was as a show of good faith to Mills agent
to get the Mills deal done.  So he is history.  That still leaves us with
14 players.  My guess is one of Massenburg and DeClerq is gone.  Both have
really struggled (especially Massenburg).  Massenburg's contract is also a
lot smaller.  i wouldn't be surprised if he was cut outright or traded to
a team slightly under the cap for a second round pick.  IF this does
happen, though, it means we gave away Eric Williams for nothing, because
if we hadn't signed Williams we wouldn't have needed to trade Williams.

After this, it gets tough.  My guess is there is another trade in the
works.  We might end up putting the remainder of DeClercq or Minor on the
DL, but I think that we may be about to make a move.  Though I don't want
to lose Barros, a team like LA, San Antonio, Washington, or Detroit might
see him as a final piece to make a playoff run.  We might be able to
package him and Minor, Declerq, Ellison, or Massenburg for a high priced
player at the end of his contract like Grant Long, Will Purdue, Harvey
Grant, or (not so short term) Elden Campbell.  Eash of those isn't a great
fit, but I think Barros is going to get some interest as teams realize
their shooters aren't as effective from the new line, but Barros is
thriving there.

Anyway, I've rambled enough,

adam

Final COmment: Bruce Bowen is one of the better press players I've ever
seen.  You have to see how good this guys hands are at deflecting the
ball.