Article on Barros.

Geoff asked:
> Does anybody know whether or not Friday and Saturday's preseason games
> against the Hawks are going to be televised? If so, what channels and what
> times? Thanks.

If you have WWWeb access, the full TV schedules for pre-season and regular
season are at:     http://www.nba.com/celtics/schedule.html
Friday and Saturday's games are on WSBK, Channel 38, in the Boston area.
Here's the preseason schedule:

       Date     Opponent              Time      Local TV National TV
       October
       Fri 10   Atlanta (PRE)         7:30 pm    WSBK
       Sat 11   at Atlanta (PRE)      7:30 pm    WSBK
       Wed 15   New Jersey (PRE)      7:30 pm    SpChNE
       Sat 18   at Milwaukee (PRE)    8:30 pm    WSBK
       Tue 21   at Orlando (PRE)      7:30 pm    SpChNE
       Wed 22   New York (PRE)        7:00 pm    SpChNE
       Fri 24   Milwaukee (PRE)       7:00 pm    SpChNE
       Sat 25   at Philadelphia (PRE) 7:30 pm    SpChNE

Also for those with no web access, here's yesterday's Boston Globe article
on the Celtics.  It's on Dana Barros, and how all the changes have
affected him.  You can find the past week's articles at:

       http://www.globe.com/globe/sports/celtics/

Jon Mc

Barros: Uniform desire
He seeks success - with the Celtics
By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 10/07/97

On one July afternoon, he watched his hometown team eliminate nine
players from its roster. He saw the team literally and figuratively
rearrange its front office, replace its play-by-play man and even
switch public-address announcers. At times it was frightening. Dana
Barros's hometown team, the Celtics, also is his employer. An employer
obviously not afraid of change.

Barros's teammate, Antoine Walker, said the reshuffling was not a
surprise. ''You move into a new house, you want to have your own style
in place; your own flavor,'' he said. That was a lot easier for Walker
to say of new coach Rick Pitino. The Celtics aren't and weren't
overloaded with big men. And Pitino told Walker he wouldn't trade him.
What the Celtics do have is guards. Barros is a 5-foot-11-inch guard.
He knew he could be moved.

His friends knew, too. He was born in Boston, went to high school at
Xaverian in Westwood and spent his college days in Chestnut Hill.
Everywhere he went, someone had heard a rumor. Barros to the Nuggets
... Barros to the Warriors ... Barros back to the Sixers ... Barros out
of town. All of them were not unfounded. Only a couple of weeks ago,
Sixers executive Billy King was telling people that the Celtics offered
Dee Brown and Barros for Derrick Coleman.

''To be honest, the rumors didn't bother me that much,'' Barros said.
''The idea of leaving home is the worst part. Being traded is part of
the business. It's just getting spoiled being [at home]. Then all of a
sudden things look like they're going to turn around with the team, and
being traded makes it worse. I didn't want to be traded and hopefully I
won't be traded. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, because it
definitely matters. But if you worry about that too much, it starts to
mess with your head.''

All Barros could and can do is play. He did just that when the team was
working out potential draftee Antonio Daniels in June. He traveled to
Atlanta in July for rookie camp. He says he is ready to go now in
Newport, R.I., for training camp.

He wants to forget about last year. That's understandable. He played
the least amount of games in his career (24) and had his lowest scoring
average (12.5) since the 1992-93 season, when he started only two games
for the Sonics. Barros was physically bothered all season by bone spurs
in his left ankle. Emotionally, watching the chaos of 67 losses didn't
do much for him, either.

He is an intelligent man. He knows he could be traded this afternoon.
He understands that the flawless radio spots he did for local disc
jockey and television personality Willie Maye could be irrelevant in 24
hours. ''Hi, I'm Dana Barros of the Boston Celtics ... '' they begin.
If he's worried, he's not showing. He seems excited.

''Man, the reaction around the city is `ill' in terms of enthusiasm,''
he said. ''I've got people rolling down their  windows when they see
me. They're like, `Pitino, Pitino ... the Celtics are back.'''

For now, Barros will try and show the coaching staff that he can play
point guard and pass. Whatever they need him to do. It may be trivial
to mention it, but the fact is that he is the only All-Star on the
team's roster (he made the team in 1994-95 with the Sixers). He'll tell
you that the honor was not an accident nor fluke. He's hoping his left
ankle remains sound. And that if people ask him for tickets, they'll be
able to see games with him wearing a green uniform with ''Celtics''
across his chest.

Travis Knight did not practice yesterday. The 7-foot center was
bothered by a stomach virus. He is expected to go today. So far, Pat
Riley has nothing but praise for renounced Celtic Todd Day, now in camp
with the Heat. The coach told reporters, ''Todd scores with as much
ease as anyone we have here on the team. He has shown since he has been
here that he can just flat-out score.''

This story ran on page C03 of the Boston Globe on 10/07/97.

&copy Copyright 1997 Globe Newspaper Company.