On Hoops predictions

Here is the On Hoops prediction for the Boston Celtics.  Despite giving us
less than 30 wins, they seem quite enthused about our chances. If we follow
their scenario we'll end up drafting 7th or eighth next year

                                  On Hoops

                 MattnSteve's Predictions - Boston Celtics

   October 8, 1997

   Actual 1996/7 Record - 15-67

   Projected 1997/8 Record - 27-55

   Where the extra wins will come from - Forget about all the negatives -
   the big contract to unproven Travis Knight, the dumping of
   professional Rick Fox, the signing of unknown Bruce Bowen and the
   inability to swing a deal for Pippen, McDyess or Vin Baker - the
   Celtics are back. So far, Rick Pitino has been worth the $7 mill a
   year Boston is paying him, because he's got back that intagible
   quality that all good teams need - respect. The Celtics won't be world
   beaters, but they'll be fast, frenetic, fun, and a damn sight better
   than they were last year. We don't think 30 wins is out of the
   question.

   1997/8 Roster: Prime Timers Pine Timers
   C Billups    T Edney
   R Mercer     D Barros
   C Mills      G Minor
   A Walker     T Massenburg
   T Knight     A DeClercq

   Guards - For the 3rd time in 3 seasons, the Celts have a new starting
   backcourt, but for the first time in 3 seasons, they're actually going
   to be good. Two seasons ago, we had the multi-million dollar pint
   sized unit of Dana Barros and Dee Brown, an experiment which turned
   out to be an abject failure. Last season we had the less experienced,
   less expensive, bigger, stronger combo of David Wesley and Greg Minor,
   which could have been effective if injuries hadn't terrorised things.
   So even though Barros, Brown and Minor are still on the roster, it was
   no secret that Boston seriously needed to re-tool their guards.
   Ta-dah! On draft day, Pitino brought in 6-3 Colorado point guard
   Chauncey Billups, who's been compared to Allen Iverson but without all
   the headaches, and 6-7 UK star Ron Mercer, both top 6 picks. Billups
   has teriffic one-on-one skills, a whole host of athletic abilities not
   seen in Beantown in generations, and Pitino's guideance should quickly
   dissolve all concerns about him being a rookie NBA point guard.
   Mercer's presence helped Pitino to be able to coach Kentucky to
   back-to-back NCAA Championship games during his 2 collegiate seasons,
   displaying a legit NBA game, and he should quickly become a top flight
   shooting guard in the pros. Minor, a productive 2-guard who knows his
   limitations and rarely makes mistakes, will be Mercer's backup, and
   even though Barros and Brown should benefit greatly from being set
   free from ML Carr's imprisoning structure, ex-Sacto speedster Tyus
   Edney was signed during the offseason because he's perfect in Pitino's
   open court style.

   Forwards - A big dose of optimism went through the hearts of all
   Celtic fans over the summer when Pitino announced that Antoine Walker
   would not be playing center this season. The 6-9 Walker, the 6th pick
   in last year's draft, had an excellent rookie campaign under the
   disheveled guideance of Carr, putting up 17 points and 9 rebounds a
   night. Imagine how good he's going to be under a coach who knows what
   he's doing and doesn't make him guard the likes of Patrick Ewing on a
   nightly basis. Walker is one of those versatile new breed of forwards
   who can play anywhere up to 4 positions, and is comfortable at small
   forward (52 threes at 33%, 3.2 assists) as well as power (3rd most
   offensive rebounds in the entire league). Seeing everyone ordained
   Dino Radja the least worthwhile 20-10 man in NBA history, the Celts
   payed him $7.5 mill to go back to Europe and therefore freed up the
   low box for lots of motion, cutting and athleticism. Walker will be
   predominantly a 4 man this season, allowing Pitino the flexibility of
   swinging Mercer up to the 3 in blur lineups, but the team's starting
   small forward should be Chris Mills. One of the best and
   most-underated 3 men in the entire league last season, Mills is a rock
   solid player who does nothing to hurt a team. He'd better be as good
   as advertised, as Boston gave up their 1996/7 Court Captain and most
   respected player, Rick Fox, and workhorse forward Eric Williams over
   the summer. Pitino brought Mills in from Cleveland for in excess of $4
   million a year, and you've gotto believe even in this era of
   throat-constricting salaries he could have re-signed both Fox and
   Williams for that sort of dough. As a result of these big salaries,
   Pitino was forced to fill out roster depth with low-wage players such
   as one-dimensional rebounding PF Tony Massenburg and mystery 3 man
   Bowen, about whom too much has already been written.

   Centers - Who am I? I'm 23, 7-foot, white, and even though I've played
   less than 20 hours of professional basketball in my life, I've been
   with the 3 winningest NBA franchises in history and have signed a $20
   million contract. Travis Knight must be a contender in Who Magazine's
   "Most Fortunate Person of the Year" award, as everything's gone right
   for the former UConn center in the last 15 months. Now, he's the
   starting center for the Boston Celtics, a position played by
   Hall-of-Famers such as Russell, Cowens, and soon to be Parish. Knight
   averaged just 16 mintes a game last season with the Lakers, so if he
   proves unable to handle the full-time role the C's are in trouble, as
   the only other center on the roster is the human Emergency Ward,
   Pervis Ellison, who played in just 6 games last season. Completing
   what's sure to be the pastiest pivot rotation east of Utah is Andrew
   DeClercq, who, to his credit, out-played the likes of Todd Fuller and
   Felton Spencer last season in Golden State. We love DeClercq's
   committment and desire, and his attitude should fit right in to the
   new-look Celtics.

   Overall, even by the law of averages Boston would win 50% more games
   this season. In 1996/7, the Celtics won just 3 of the 15 games that
   were decided by 3 or less points, and 4 of the 24 decided by 5 or
   less. This says as much about ML Carr's lack of coaching strategy than
   it does of Boston's lack of luck last season. Replace Carr on the
   bench with a proven winner, add a bunch of young, hungry, talented
   players, mix in a little respect from the rest of the league - and the
   new edition of the Boston Celtics are well and truly back!

        -MattnSteve

           " Bruce Bowen? I can't wait to get my hands on him! "