Todd Day sighting

             There was evidently a Todd Day sighting in Miami, and it wasn't
pretty.  ;-)

                             [HeraldLink Story]
          Published Sunday, October 5, 1997, in the Miami Herald=20
                                     =20
                               HEAT NOTEBOOK
                                     =20
                                     =20
Riley pleased with workouts

   By STEVE WYCHE=20
   Herald Sports Writer
  =20
   Day 2 of Heat training camp was dubbed one of the best preseason
   workouts the team has been through since Pat Riley took control three
   years ago, according to the coach.
  =20
   Players were more familiar with the structure and routines and gave
   feverish efforts that could set the tone for the heated competition
   for roster spots and playing time.
  =20
   The players, particularly Heat veterans, dread the drilling now but
   realize the fruit it bears.
  =20
   ``We know around the league there isn't any team doing what we're
   doing, running five 17s, the whole team being here for a month, two
   months in the summer, working out to be ready for camp,'' center Ike
   Austin said. ``Most other guys on other teams just got to camp.
  =20
   ``In preseason we're out there running up and down the court and all
   we hear are the coaches screaming, `Get back, get back.' ''
  =20
   Sanford hurt
  =20
   Forward Mark Sanford, Miami's second-round pick out of Washington, was
   taken to the hospital during morning drills for X-rays on his left big
   toe. There was no fracture but he was diagnosed with turf toe -- a
   painful stretching of the tendons. He did not participate in the
   evening practice and his return is undetermined.
  =20
   Passing grades
  =20
   The handful of players who failed their fitness tests on the first day
   of practice Friday completed the tests to Riley's satisfaction
   Saturday morning and no more testing will be administered.
  =20
   Guard Todd Day, who did not complete his first practice and was taken
   to the hospital for five hours after suffering from dehydration,
   blamed his brief illness on being too worked up for his first workout
   under Riley.
  =20
   ``I didn't sleep well the night before and I didn't eat well that
   morning,'' he said.
  =20
   Heated pool
  =20
   Injured forwards Dan Majerle (back) and Keith Askins (wrist, shoulder,
   toe) added swimming and running in the pool to their rehabilitation.
   Terry Mills (knee) did not join in on the aquatic fun as he continued
   to do most of his work on the stationary bike.
  =20
                                 [IMAGEMAP]
                                     =20
                     Copyright =A9 1997 The Miami Herald