ON HOOPS article

Hey Hey.  While I'm sure opposing views will be aired at ON HOOPS, at least
one Raptors Fan thinks the Cs will be fun to watch

                                  On Hoops

                      The Most Exciting Teams to Watch

   October 6, 1997

     Chuck's Note: Even though there's a big difference between an
     exciting "team", and 2 teams playing an exciting "game" (such as
     the Heat vs the Knicks), this dude has put his money where his
     mouth is - buying tickets to watch 4 games this upcoming season -
     Suns, T-Wolves, Celts and Pistons...

   Well we are just 3 and a half weeks away from the start of the 97-98
   season and the excitement is brewing for another 8 months of NBA
   madness. While I'm sure the majority of us basketball junkies would
   agree that a 110-108 game is much more exciting than a 78-71
   "defensive" struggle, an interesting debate came up with a buddy.

   If you could have front-row tickets to see the 6 most exciting NBA
   teams in action who would they be? Now while I'm positive that my 6
   teams will be different then the majority, just keep in mind that were
   not asking for the best teams, just the 6 most EXCITING teams. The
   clubs that play that up-tempo, aggressive, trapping, jam-in-your-face,
   3-point-bombing style that gets you jumping off your seat every 2
   minutes.

   So without further ado this is the list I came up with:

   1. Phoenix Suns:
   A well documented team in OnHoops over the past month, these guys are
   fun from buzzer to buzzer. When it's not KJ slashing to the hoop. It's
   Kidd with a no-looker to Chapman or Ceballos for the jam or 3-point
   bomb. Throw in the likes of McDyess, Manning, Robinson and co. and the
   open-court barrage never stops.

   2. Chicago Bulls:
   Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen. That should be enough reason right
   there. Two of the greatest open-court players to ever play the game.
   When Mike isn't defying the laws of gravity despite being in his
   mid-thirites, Pippen is jamming or pulling up for the three and Kukoc
   is showing the touch with an alley-oop lob or a sweeping left-handed
   jam. Don't forget Rodman either (assuming he signs). So often he is
   the catalyst of the break. He'll hustle for that defensive board and
   release the quickest outlet pass to mid-court in the league. Now
   you've got yet another fast-break for the highest-scoring team in the
   NBA.

   3. Boston Celtics
   While some of you at OnHoops like the changes the Celts made in the
   offseason and some of you didn't, there's no denying that there is no
   lack of speed and quickness on this squad. With Pitino calling the
   shots, you can be sure that there will be action from baseline to
   baseline with 90 feet of pressing and trapping. Throw in some of the
   most exciting young open-court players in the league (Walker, Mercer,
   Billups) as well as other guys who thrive or will thrive in the new
   system (Dee Brown, DeClerq, Knight, Barros) and there will be plenty
   of eye-popping plays.
   But with these guys the action is not just at the offensive end, the
   Celts also boasted the WORST defense in the league last year. While
   this stat will most likely change with Pitino in charge this season,
   there will still be a very young group of guys out on the court who
   are bound to make mistakes on D in bunches, making for great two-way
   action.

   4. Toronto Raptors
   Perhaps a little hometown bias here by putting the Dinosaurs on this
   list (CN: No, surely not!), but there is plenty of action on this
   young roster. It all starts with the Damon, he makes the hilight reel
   almost every night with 3's, slashes to the hole and great passes.
   Throw in a rejuvenated flyer like Christie and bomber like Walt
   Williams and there is plenty to cheer for. But when the Raptors are
   healthy (which wasn't very often last year) then you have the long
   arms of Popeye Jones, Carlos Rogers and Marcus Camby deflecting passes
   and causing turnovers in the full-court press that lead to plenty of
   dunks. The addition of the 1998 NBA dunk champion, rookie Tracy
   McGrady won't slow things down one-bit either.

   5. Los Angeles Lakers
   The Lake Show were another high-octane team this past season and the
   trend will continue into 97-98. The biggest name at the Forum is the
   backboard-shattering O'Neal. But Eddie Jones often steals the show
   with his incredible athleticism and deft shooting. Nick Van Exel
   doesn't get the credit he deserves for his passing abilities. The fans
   in LA are fickle and they wouldn't have their Lakers playing any other
   way.

   6. Philadelphia 76ers
   Just squeaking by the Bullets and TrailBlazers for the final spot, the
   Sixers get the nod on promising young talent alone. Love him or hate
   him, Allen Iverson is the quickest player in the game with a vertical
   that's almost surreal. Stack, Jim Jackson, Tim Thomas and Spoon round
   out an impressive young roster that are capabele of hilight-reel
   material night-in and night-out.

   Honorable Mention: Portland, Washington, Minnesota, Utah

   Potential Thoroughbred Squads: Cleveland (If the Czar releases his
   'disciplined' style), Milwaukee, San Antonio.

   No Thanks, I'll stay home: New York, Miami, Dallas, Denver.

        -George Taylor

     " Hey George, I wouldn't come to watch you play ball either.... "

   [INLINE]

         On HoopsSM is a Service Mark of Vidya Media Ventures, Inc.
       Copyright 1997 Vidya Media Ventures, Inc. All rights reserved.