celtics.htm

This article has been around for a whil, but I just saw it this morning.  In
light of the experts praise of the Suns, this looks like good news.

   [ISMAP]-CBS SportsLine/Pro Sports Xchange

                                Boston Celtics

  HOT TOPICS:

   GETTING INSIDE

   There is far from unanimous acclaim for the first summer of personnel
   moves by the Rick Pitino regime, but the new Celtics' boss won't hear
   any discouraging words from Danny Ainge.

   The former Celt and current coach of the Suns likes the new players as
   well as the man who will coach them.

   "I like the people Pitino brought in," says Ainge. "We had interest in
   every one of those guys. We tried to get (Tony) Massenburg, (Andrew)
   DeClercq and Travis Knight, and we had great interest in Chris Mills.

   "Every guy Boston ended up signing was high on our priority list. We
   tried to get them, but we just didn't have the same kind of salary cap
   room the Celtics did."

   Many league types are scoffing at the seven-year, $22-million deal for
   Knight and wonder if Mills is going to be better than Eric Williams
   (or Rick Fox, for that matter). But Ainge believes people should give
   Pitino the benefit of any doubts.

   "He's bringing in the players he wants," Ainge say. "Sometimes you
   don't have that luxury when you come into a situation, but he's had
   that and he's getting the kind of guys who work for what he wants to
   do. We liked the same people because I want us to play that
   (fast-paced) style. That may not work for other teams, so these guys
   may not be as good in those other styles. But they can do what
   (Pitino) wants."

   When and if they do, Ainge will be paying attention. His bent as a
   player was toward a faster game, and as a Celtic he got to see a young
   coach in the area preaching that style of play.

   "I have to say that Rick Pitino has always been one of my favorite
   coaches to watch," Ainge says. "I've always liked seeing how his teams
   played.

   "I didn't know much about him at Boston University, but I watched him
   a lot when he was coaching Providence. Ever since then, I've kept an
   eye on him. I thought he did a great job with the Knicks. I just love
   the way his teams play.

   "There's a lot of things I like about Rick Pitino's style. I love
   fast-break basketball, 3-point shots and ball movement. He seems to be
   really set in his system. I think I may work more around the players I
   have, but that's probably because I haven't been in coaching long
   enough to find a total system that I'm sure works.

   "I'm not kidding; I really like Pitino's style. Heck, I even read his
   book (Success is a Choice) before he became coach of the Celtics."

   Not that Ainge is above kidding. He and Kevin McHale were merciless in
   their ribbing of Pitino and his contract when the trio met up at the
   June pre-draft camp in Chicago -- and Danny evidently isn't through.

   "I'm glad the Celtics hired him," he says. "But as soon as he got that
   contract, I sold my shares of Celtic stock. They can't possibly make
   money anymore now that they have to pay him all that."

   NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

   It seems the Celts are wavering on the decision to break with
   tradition and go with white sneakers. The club has been in black (with
   a few years of green) since the early days of Red Auerbach's run.

   According to Pitino, some players asked to wear white and he went
   along with it. Then the tradition issue was brought to his attention
   and now, well, "We have both at this point," he said.

   Pitino added, "I really didn't know anything about the black shoes
   before somebody brought it up."

   Auerbach went with black back in the days when the teams provided
   sneakers to their players. With money always an issue in a struggling
   league, the old redhead found that white shoes got dirty faster and he
   could get more time out of the darker canvas models.

   The C's went with green for a while when they were still responsible
   for their players' footwear and Adidas gave them a dark green version.
   When players began to get shoe contracts and provide their own, the
   Celts wound up with several different shades of green and, at that
   point, decided to go back to black.

   Darker sneaks are no big deal these days, but the C's stood out
   through most of the '70s and '80s.

   Beyond the historical issues (and shouldn't they have kept Jan Volk on
   at least as Tradition Officer?), a basketball matter may creep in, in
   that there is some belief the darker shoes make a player appear slower
   and, perhaps, less likely to get certain calls from officials. At
   least that's what some Celtic types are saying.

   During last season, an opposing coach was chatting before a game with
   the Celts. When Todd Day's name came up, the coach frowned and shook
   his head.

   "I absolutely guarantee you," he said, "that Todd Day will be making
   the NBA minimum next year. That's if he's even in the league."

   The coach could therefore not have been surprised when the wayward
   talent signed for the new minimum, $272,500, with Miami. It is a
   one-year deal. Day said it would be quite a come-down for him (he
   pocketed $2.9 million for taking bad shots in Boston last year), but
   it may have been his best option, according to Celtic general manager
   Chris Wallace, who worked for the Heat last year.

   "That's the perfect place for him," said Wallace. "If anybody out
   there can jump-start a player's career, it's Pat Riley."

   While the contract is guaranteed, Day is, however, no lock to make the
   Miami roster. There are currently 16 players under contract there, and
   Riley wouldn't hesitate a moment to cut a player who exhibits the same
   lack of respect for his talent that Day did in Boston.

   Celtic second-round draft pick Ben Pepper is still a long way from
   being an NBA talent, but the 7-foot Australian has been showing real
   improvement according to sources there.

   The Celtics currently have no plans to bring Pepper in for training
   camp or any private workouts, but they will get to see him soon.

   "He's going to be on an Australian team that's making a tour of the
   United States to play exhibition games against colleges," Wallace
   said. "We don't have their exact schedule yet. but we'll definitely
   get out to see him."

   QUOTE TO NOTE: "When they asked me to speak and said it wasn't going
   to be a roast, that they wanted nice positive stuff about Arnold, I
   thought this would be the shortest program on record" -- Bob Cousy at
   the 80th birthday party for Arnold (Red) Auerbach.

   STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

   The Celtics now have 13 players under contract, but the question of
   who goes may be solved by Dana Barros, who is coming around slowly
   from ankle surgery. His off-season program has been curtailed, and
   there is real question of whether he'll be able to withstand the
   rigors of Pitino's up-tempo system.

   FREE AGENT UPDATE: Travis Knight, Andrew DeClercq, Tony Massenburg,
   Chris Mills, Tyus Edney and Bruce Bowen are in. All the club's free
   agents from last season are gone.