Re: Wesley $3million?

In message <338E728C.7116@ptialaska.net>, Tim Nault said:
> Jan Crocker wrote:
> >
> > The local paper the Herald is reporting that David Wesley might be willing
> > to sign a one year 3million (market value) contract while the C's try to
> > unload other long term contracts. Wesley's agent Catapano said that he's
> > wide open on this and would like to get something done before July 1. Stay
> > tuned.
> > JC
>

> I say we pay 2.5 million for him, no more.  Sure the guy had good stats
> and he is a good player, but we simply don't have the room under the cap
> to sign him!  Besides if we were to sign him I would prefer that it was
> some kind of long-term deal.  I hate these freaking one year contracts.
> The NBA should make a rule that players signed to contracts should have
> to sign for at least 3 years.  Sure there could be some exceptions like
> ten-day contracts and non-drafted rookies, but for the most part I think
> this would be a good idea.
>
> Tim

On the contrary...I Wesley is really willing to do this, I would take him up
on it in a flash!  He would be doing the Celtics a tremendous favor.  He
would stay in Boston, without killing next year's cap flexibility.  When his
contract ran out in 1998, the Celtics would be able to use his cap room to go
after a free agent, then use the Larry Bird exception to resign Wesley long
term.  The extra $500,000 would be a small premium to pay for Wesley's giving
up the security of a long-term deal.

In this day of "me me me" athletes, this is a very team-oriented gesture by
Wesley.  He should be applauded, and the Celtics should fall all over
themselves to take him up on it.
- --
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com