Re: Wesley $3million?

At 01:25 PM 5/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>In message <338E728C.7116@ptialaska.net>, Tim Nault said:
>> Jan Crocker wrote:
>> >
>> > The local paper the Herald is reporting that David Wesley might be willing
>> > to sign a one year 3million (market value) contract while the C's try to
>> > unload other long term contracts. Wesley's agent Catapano said that he's
>> > wide open on this and would like to get something done before July 1. Stay
>> > tuned.
>> > JC
>>

>> I say we pay 2.5 million for him, no more.  Sure the guy had good stats
>> and he is a good player, but we simply don't have the room under the cap
>> to sign him!  Besides if we were to sign him I would prefer that it was
>> some kind of long-term deal.  I hate these freaking one year contracts.
>> The NBA should make a rule that players signed to contracts should have
>> to sign for at least 3 years.  Sure there could be some exceptions like
>> ten-day contracts and non-drafted rookies, but for the most part I think
>> this would be a good idea.
>>
>> Tim
>
>On the contrary...I Wesley is really willing to do this, I would take him up
>on it in a flash!  He would be doing the Celtics a tremendous favor.  He
>would stay in Boston, without killing next year's cap flexibility.  When his
>contract ran out in 1998, the Celtics would be able to use his cap room to go
>after a free agent, then use the Larry Bird exception to resign Wesley long
>term.  The extra $500,000 would be a small premium to pay for Wesley's giving
>up the security of a long-term deal.
>
>In this day of "me me me" athletes, this is a very team-oriented gesture by
>Wesley.  He should be applauded, and the Celtics should fall all over
>themselves to take him up on it.
>--
>Jim McMaster
>mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com

I agree, this would be a great team-oriented move on Wesley's part.
As long as he fits into Pitino's plans, it would be a no-brainer.

Anyone know if Dee Brown's (and others) contract could be restructured
to improve the salary cap situation?  I seem to remember past stars
converting some of their salary to "deferred" status to open up cap room
to sign other free agents.  Is that still within the rules?

- - KK
Kerry M. Kee                     kkee@highground.com
HighGround Systems               (508)263-5588 x144
1300 Mass. Ave, Suite 205        (508)263-5565 (fax)
Boxboro, MA 01719-2203