Re: Point Guard

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Jim McMaster wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.970529190133.1556C-100000@elaine11.Stanford.EDU>,
> Mic
> hael Joseph Byrnes said:
> >
> > JLyell wrote:
> >
> > > It also looks like resigning Wesley may
> > > not happen so do we have to take Billups or Antonio Daniels ?  Who else is
> > > going to play point Barros ?  Brown ? I don't think so.
> >
> > Why not?
> >
> Because neither one can play the point, silly...they are both miserable at
> it.  It takes more than lack of height to play point guard.

You're exaggerating.  In the past, Brown has played the point on better
C's teams than the one we will see next year.  Granted, he is not as
"true" point guard, but he has played decently there in the past.  Barros
has also played the point before, though he is more of a shooter.

Neither is ideally suited to the point, of course.  But, both are still
decent players with some of the skills needed to be a point guard.  And I
am sure that Pitino can get more out of both of them than ML Carr or Chris
Ford was able to.

And, how badly does this team really need to have a true point guard?  If
the C's could steal Gary Payton from the Sonics, it would not make them a
championship team.

For now, why waste resources (either draft picks or cap room) on a point
guard when we already have two players making a lot of money who should be
able to do an adequate job for one year.

If Daniels or Billups is the best player availabl when the C's draft, then
I would draft either one.  If there are better players available, then I
would draft the better player.  There is no sense filling a short term
need if it is to the long term detriment of the team.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu