Re: McGrady

- ----------
> From: Nault <rnault@ptialaska.net>
> To: Jason Gunkel <celticpride@mail-me.com>
> Cc: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Re: McGrady
> Date: Saturday, May 24, 1997 10:26 AM
>
> >I was reading an article on Tracy McGrady from one of my Sports
Illustraded
> >magazines and something caught my eye.  It said that Pitino wanted him
very
> >badly to come to Kentucky and tried very hard to get him.  It said that
> >Kentucky scheduled a press conference to announce that McGrady was
coming,
> >but had to cancel it because McGrady decided to enter the draft.
> >
> >McGrady looks like a very good player and a potential superstar and I
think
> >we should use #6 on him.  He is 6'9 and is a guard/forward, but he
played
> >all 5 positions in high school.  I also think that Pitino likes him and
> >there is a good chance that he will take him at 6.
> >
> >What does everyone think about McGrady?  Should we take him with #6?
>

> I think McGrady is a big risk.  He could either be a huge flop (like
> Jermaine O'Neal) or a superstar (like Kevin Garnett).

I agree that McGrady is a risk, but i think it's worth a shot.  It could be
the opportunity to grab a kid with a lot of raw talent.  Pitino is used to
dealing with kids his age and developing them.

And i don't see why you are calling Jermaine O'Neal a "huge flop".  He's
only had one season in the league, and he only got 10 minutes per game
playing time.  He came into the league too early but he is talented and he
could still develop into a great player with more time and experience.
It's too early to call him a "huge flop".  If we take McGrady i wouldn't
necessarily expect him to be any better as a rookie than O'Neal is.
Hopefully he would be, but long term sucess is more important than it is
for him to step in and be an impact player from day 1.

Jeff