Re: I met Rick Pitino

Mike Dynon wrote:

> After the speech, Pitino answered questions for about 20 minutes.  Some of
> his answers will certainly be of interest to this group.
>
> - --He pointed out that Kentucky won more games than the Celts did in an
> 82-game schedule.  He added that, no matter what the talent level or injury
> problems, a team that wins only 15 games "was not motivated."  (Ouch!--the
> only thing ML got credit for last year was being a good motivator.)

I agree with Rick, 100%.  In my opinion, teams that are "motivated" will
play defense.  The Celtics did not.  Case closed.

> - --My question was, what do you plan to do about Fox and Wesley.
> Unfortunately, he said they would probably take their games elsewhere.  He
> wants to keep them, but said he will pay for winning, not expectations.  If
> they want "to make an honest living" they will be back, but if they want
> "$4-5 million a year," it will mean goodbye.

Again, I agree with Pitino.  I think both Wesley and Fox will want the big
$$$ (and why shouldn't they get it?), and I would *hate* to see the
Celtics mortgage more of their future to retain either of them.

It sounds like, finally, the Celtics are in good hands.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu