his answers will certainly be of interest to this group.

- --He does not yet know who they will draft.  He said they would be working
out Croshere today, not as a high pick, but in case they decide to trade
#6.

- --He pointed out that Kentucky won more games than the Celts did in an
82-game schedule.  He added that, no matter what the talent level or injury
problems, a team that wins only 15 games "was not motivated."  (Ouch!--the
only thing ML got credit for last year was being a good motivator.)

- --My question was, what do you plan to do about Fox and Wesley.
Unfortunately, he said they would probably take their games elsewhere.  He
wants to keep them, but said he will pay for winning, not expectations.  If
they want "to make an honest living" they will be back, but if they want
"$4-5 million a year," it will mean goodbye.

- --Pitino predicted that Utah would meet Chicago in the finals, and that
"Utah will give them all they can handle."  He added that the Bulls look
beatable, and predicted they will be broken up after this season.

- --He wanted Bird to be the GM, and offered him the job, but he said that
Bird wanted to coach instead.  With an opportunity to coach a veteran team
in his home state, it was the ideal situation for Bird.

- --For what it's worth, he used to be a big baseball fan, but he has given
it up since the strike.

- --Marty Conlon will definitely be back.

- --I could not get a read on who he wants to dump, but I don't think it will
be Dino.  Pitino mentioned several times how he feels he can motivate Dino,
help him improve his self-esteem (this is HUGE in Pitino's system), and
become an outstanding player.  Dino may well be traded one day, but
apparently not until Pitino has time to try to mold him.

- --Pitino avoids negative or moody people.  For example, he doesn't listen
to sports talk radio.  He probably wouldn't read our postings either :)

My summary: His success is no accident.  He's figured out how to "flip 12
different light switches" (his words) and get results.  With his charisma
and a core of young players to develop, Pitino will definitely bring the
Celts back to the top.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

Mike Dynon