Re: I met Rick Pitino

- --- On Thu, 22 May 1997 17:26:54 -0400  Mike Dynon
<mdynon@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
<snip introduction>
- --He does not yet know who they will draft.  He said they would

be working
out Croshere today, not as a high pick, but in case they decide

to trade
#6.

- --He pointed out that Kentucky won more games than the Celts
did in an
82-game schedule.  He added that, no matter what the talent
level or injury
problems, a team that wins only 15 games "was not motivated."
(Ouch!--the
only thing ML got credit for last year was being a good
motivator.)

opinion.

- --My question was, what do you plan to do about Fox and Wesley.

Unfortunately, he said they would probably take their games
elsewhere.  He
wants to keep them, but said he will pay for winning, not
expectations.  If
they want "to make an honest living" they will be back, but if
they want
"$4-5 million a year," it will mean goodbye.

both help the team, but it is not worth that kind of contract
to keep them.

- --Pitino predicted that Utah would meet Chicago in the finals,
and that
"Utah will give them all they can handle."  He added that the
Bulls look
beatable, and predicted they will be broken up after this
season.

Rodman.  Funny isn't it.

- --He wanted Bird to be the GM, and offered him the job, but he
said that
Bird wanted to coach instead.  With an opportunity to coach a
veteran team
in his home state, it was the ideal situation for Bird.

to start.  A good little piece in last week Sports Illustrated
on Bird, Pitino etc.

- --For what it's worth, he used to be a big baseball fan, but he
has given
it up since the strike.

- --Marty Conlon will definitely be back.

- --I could not get a read on who he wants to dump, but I don't
think it will
be Dino.  Pitino mentioned several times how he feels he can
motivate Dino,
help him improve his self-esteem (this is HUGE in Pitino's
system), and
become an outstanding player.  Dino may well be traded one day,
but
apparently not until Pitino has time to try to mold him.

- --Pitino avoids negative or moody people.  For example, he
doesn't listen
to sports talk radio.  He probably wouldn't read our postings
either :)

My summary: His success is no accident.  He's figured out how
to "flip 12
different light switches" (his words) and get results.  With
his charisma
and a core of young players to develop, Pitino will definitely
bring the
Celts back to the top.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI